Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Fall Task Reminders

Last post Thu, Oct 21 2010 10:44 PM by karenteacher. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 3 2010 6:18 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Fall Task Reminders

Fall is here and it's time to get some things done before winter!

What do you need to do before the weather turns cold?
    If you have fireplaces, make sure your wood is stocked up
    Have you checked your heating system to be sure it is operating properly?
    Check gutters and drainage to be sure they are free of debris and unbroken
    Check your roof and other structures like sheds to be sure everything is holding up
    Weatherise your doors and windows, those seals can be costly if they let drafts in!

Have you done any of these things yet? Do you have other tasks that need to be done that I have missed?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Oct 3 2010 9:09 PM In reply to

Re: Fall Task Reminders

A little behind on getting the furance checked and the caulking and weatherstripping up ...    DH does tell me that our wood supply is pretty good.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Sun, Oct 3 2010 9:59 PM In reply to

Oh geez another gulity think here thanks brandy...lol Im behind schedual here we are stocked up on food and wood for the wood stove but need to get propaine and karasin for the lamps and make sure the coleman stove is ready winter clothes are mended and out now the task I need to do...

weather striping one window,and one door and dad and I have to make sure the tires are in top conition and have chains in the cars I hate putting on moms chains to the car her buick is heavey last time I put chains on my hand almost got flattened...

• Sun, Oct 3 2010 10:35 PM In reply to

Brandy:
    Do you have other tasks that need to be done that I have missed?

For those of us who live in the north were it gets really cold and we have to deal with the "S" word getting out winter jackets, boots, mittens/gloves and hats make sure that everything is in good shape, they still fit and work as they should (zippers mostly).

In my house we're changing over from summer to winter including putting flannel sheets on the beds so the heat can be turned down a little more at night.
    thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Sun, Oct 3 2010 10:54 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

DH is in charge of the fireplaces and that sort of thing ... and he is good at it .. 

my job is to be sure we have everything for all of us the dogs , cat,  cows ,  ect.

and we both are list makers so we got it covered .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Oct 3 2010 11:03 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

cheapChic:
    lol Im behind schedual here

Well, join me then because I am behind as well. It's only finally starting to cool! I wait until the weather is pleasant to do fall tasks.

• Mon, Oct 4 2010 7:26 AM In reply to

I'm also behind here!  It just finally started to cool off here last week.  I have our list ready to go and we will start working on it this week.  We already caulked the windows a couple weeks ago.  Lots to get done in the next few weeks.

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Mon, Oct 4 2010 8:19 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

We've winterized the house. Brought out extra blankets. Switched the clothing to warmer stuff. DH is putting away the golf clubs this morning.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Mon, Oct 4 2010 8:47 AM In reply to

I haven't done much yet, but it's supposed to warm up to the 70's again this week so there's still time.  Another thing on my list is to put away bikes and skateboards and clean up the garage so we can fit both cars in there.  We don't have a shed so the grill, lawnmower, bikes etc take up my husband's parking spot in the garage during the summer.  Every fall we clean it up for his car.

• Mon, Oct 4 2010 9:03 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I need to finish picking up the summer yard decor and get set up for fall. I haven't had the time to give to this yet. Some of the other things, I leave to my husband.

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us