Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

home remedies for chest congestion?

Last post Wed, Oct 27 2010 8:56 AM by rolo. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 11:42 AM

home remedies for chest congestion?

I have had a week now of chest congestion following a head cold and yesterday it got very bad....I cough all the time, unproductive, and my chest hurts like crazy. I can't afford to go to the Dr and cold medicines don't provide relief but make me tired.

Any ideas either homemade or OTC?

I was thinking of Vicks vapor rub...my mom used that on me when I was very little. I shower alot because the hot water makes me feel better LOL. But then after awhile it tightens up and I feel terrible again.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 11:49 AM In reply to

Re: home remedies for chest congestion?

What about a mustard plaster ? It's an old-fashioned remedy. As I recall, you use the yellow mustard instead of the gourmet mustards.

There is a recipe for it in the Reader's Digest Home Remedy Book.

Vicks works for me. Getting enough sleep helps also.

Try drinking hot tea or coffee. Consume soups like chicken noodle soup. Use a vaporizer or humidifier.

I hope that you feel better soon.

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:33 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Drink lots and lots of clear fluids and that will help thin the congestion so your cough can be productive.  If a hot shower helps, Vicks or something similar will help. There are generic versions that are cheaper and do just as good a job. Keep the humidity high and stay warm.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 12:35 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Robtussin Max is godd, combined with vicks.  Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 1:24 PM In reply to

If you don't have a vaporizer, just put a big pot of water on your stove to boil. Check it occasionally to be sure it doesn't boil dry.

Feel better soon!

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 1:32 PM In reply to

There is something nasty/horrible going around!

I started out with "over the counter"  Vicks/44 Custome Care for Chesty Cough and Thermaflue Vapor Patch.

After a week, my Primary Care Physician ordered:  Azithrmycin and Bromfed DM Syrup (and I continued with the "patch") and Mucinex 12-hour.

Now, after another week, and all that coughing, etc. ~ it's only eased a bit!  I guess?  It has to run its course? 

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! 

As I'm facing my third week, I wish you luck!

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 2:40 PM In reply to

Steam, steam, steam. I know you can't spend your day in the shower but having a vaporizer going or a big pot of water boiling will help. If you don't have a vaporizer for night, try hanging wet clothes in your room.to keep the air moist.

Vicks on the chest with a warm compress helps, too.

If you start running a high fever, you may have to bite the bullet and see the doctor to rule out pneumonia or other bronchial infection.

I hope you feel better! Try the cold meds at night when you need rest, maybe your congestion will loosen up then and be more productive during the day.

Erika
  • Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:23 PM In reply to

I swear by a tea made of yarrow leaves, peppermint, and crushed cayenne or other hot pepper. Sweeten it and drink it hot, then put on your sweats and crawl under as many covers as you can stand. It's broken several cases of bronchitis for me.  Rat's vein/pipsissiwa can be used in place of yarrow if necessary.  I know a good joke about that herb but it would be cruel to tell it to a woman with a chest cold. 

If nothing else works, try an injection of dairy ampicillin--not legal but often effective. 

• Sun, Oct 3 2010 8:05 PM In reply to

I would try the Sinus Rinse found in the pharmacy section of most stores. You take this little packet of saline solution crystals, mix it with a certain amount of lukewarm water, and shake the bottle. Insert into one nostril, tilt your head forwards, and squeeze the bottle. The solution goes deep into the nasal cavities and cleans out all of the mucus and drains it out through the other nostril. Repeat for the other side.

Super easy, relatively cheap, safe for anyone over age 4, and very efficient! It's my first line of defense against colds now, and usually the only action I have to take at all. Hope you feel better soon. :-)

• Sun, Oct 3 2010 8:47 PM In reply to

Steam inhalations have worked best for me combined with the sinus rinses.  For the steam inhalations I put some boiling water in the bottom of a large pot, put the pot on a hot-pad on a tv-tray,and throw a towel over the pot to catch the steam.  I put my head under the towel for at least 10 minutes and breathe as deeply as I can. 

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us