Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Name changes for goods

Last post Thu, Oct 7 2010 9:57 AM by Juneflower. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 27 2010 2:14 PM

Name changes for goods

The Corn Refiner's Association has applied to have the name "high fructose corn syrup" changed to "corn sugar" (articles here and here, among others).  According to the articles, the amount of corn used for HFCS has dropped lately.This one really annoys me; I have to change how I read labels again.   Does anyone else have problems with name changes of foods or other goods in an attempt to bypass bad press? 

• Mon, Sep 27 2010 3:07 PM In reply to

Re: Name changes for goods

Yes, this annoys me too.  I spend a lot of time reading labels some weeks (some weeks I don't buy so much processed stuff, which is my goal) and it would be nice if they would just stick with a name.  Whatever they call it, whether HFCS or corn sugar, I won't buy it.

• Mon, Sep 27 2010 3:12 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Fortunately the media has been exposing this switch in labeling. If they really wanted to be forthcoming they should call it what it really is ... "Killer Syrup".
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Mon, Sep 27 2010 4:03 PM In reply to

So if it was labeled "sugar" instead of "corn syrup", would you buy it? They're the same thing. See today's article on Yahoo: Biggest Lies About Food Busted

Jill

• Mon, Sep 27 2010 9:16 PM In reply to

I read an article in the New York Times about this. They had a survey, 5 choices for the name, I think, and very few people chose corn sugar.trying to get rid of .

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 8:49 AM In reply to

Sugar and high fructose corn syrup are not processed by the body the same way.  There are articles out there about that too.  It's a choice I've made for me and my family, but I don't blame anyone for making their own independent choices.  High fructose corn syrup is a manmade product, sugar is not.  I'm sure there are others on DS who could explain it or link to articles about it, but it's pretty easy to google.  

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 3:00 PM In reply to

My concern is more with the name change attempting to hide the product in plain sight more than the product itself - I know a lot of people who try to avoid a particular food additive, only to miss it because it has more than one name.  The change from HFCS to corn sugar was presented more as an example than as the actual issue.  Has anyone seen other goods (food or not) that have changed their names to make it harder to spot the item?  MSG is another example of a food additive that "hides" due to how it's presented on labels - kind of the way some things will list sugar, corn syrup, and fructose to make it seem like there's less sugar than there really is.
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 8:47 PM In reply to

Did you know that unless your bag of sugar says it's cane sugar it's probably not? Some granulated sugar is actually beet sugar. It will say so on the bag.

I don't necessarily agree that cane sugar is a natural and not man-made product. There is a manufacturing process to convert the cane stalks into the sugar we buy in the store, so in my opinion that makes it man-made as well.

Regardless, sugar is sugar is sugar. And karenteacher is correct in saying it's the way they disguise the fact that it's sugar that's the problem.

Jill

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 9:27 PM In reply to

Jillibean - EXACTLY!!!!  Sugar is sugar is sugar!

The problem is that ALL added sugar is more than we should be having.  A little in moderation won't really hurt, but sugar is in soo many things now!  It doesn't matter so much what kind of sugar, beet, cane, or corn, it still is all sugar, and if its being added to our foods, it is still all added sugar.

Kris in VA
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 9:55 PM In reply to

jillibean:

Did you know that unless your bag of sugar says it's cane sugar it's probably not? Some granulated sugar is actually beet sugar. It will say so on the bag.

I don't necessarily agree that cane sugar is a natural and not man-made product. There is a manufacturing process to convert the cane stalks into the sugar we buy in the store, so in my opinion that makes it man-made as well.

Regardless, sugar is sugar is sugar. And karenteacher is correct in saying it's the way they disguise the fact that it's sugar that's the problem.

Jill

Yeah, I just found that out this year.  I buy one of the kinds that's pure cane sugar, but either one doesn't really matter to me.  It's true, sugar does go through manufacturing, but HFCS was made in a lab, which is the part I don't like besides the fact that they're trying to sneak it into everything we eat and drink.  You guys are also right in the fact that most people need to limit all the sugars, and I try to do that too.  

This discussion has made me realize how personal food is.  I've been paying a lot more attention to what my family eats this year, and there's so much to look for on labels.  It would be nice if we didn't have to worry about what's in our food and could know that what we eat is wholesome and good for us.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us