Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Have you considered the need for "handy" type skills?

Last post Tue, Sep 28 2010 11:52 AM by Cinnamonhuskies. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 25 2010 2:49 AM

Have you considered the need for "handy" type skills?

How good are you at making mechanical repairs or carpentry or painting or any number of other skills needed around a home, especially a homestead?  I admit that I'm no mechanic, but I can read and understand manuals, etc. and I would really like to have some training in carpentry. I can set tile because I took a free course at Home Depot and read a lot about how to. I can slap paint on a wall and make it look OK, but I'm very inefficient at it. DH is not so handy either, although he has many other great and wonderful attributes. I'm thinking bartering for services might be an important skill to develop.  AM

• Sat, Sep 25 2010 7:22 AM In reply to

• swedluv
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 1,713

Re: Have you considered the need for "handy" type skills?

I can paint pretty well, I can do minor pvc plumbing, I can do sheetrock work (a lil outta practice but can stil do it), Dh and I can install cabinets. Dh can do things like installing dishwashers, running water lines for dishwasher, icemaker, small stuff. I am gonna teach him to sheetrock. He can change out receptacles and light fixtures. It is all little stuff but has saved us quite a bit of money. I can also do small framing projects.

Lynn

• Sat, Sep 25 2010 9:19 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

DH and DD are very handy, me not so much.  :)  We have traded skills mostly for food items we don't grow ourselves, like fresh eggs.  DH says the one thing that can never be taken away from you and that people will always need and pay for are handy skills.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Sat, Sep 25 2010 9:48 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

the men folk here do everything DH is such a good teacher that all our kids even the girls can do it all  me I can paint alittle and I a great helper " Mom Dad says we need some coffee .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sat, Sep 25 2010 11:49 AM In reply to

My DH and I do everything here.  The only thing DH paid to have done was a new roof put on a few years ago.  We already had 2 layers of shingles and it had to scrapped completely back to the plywood and reroofed.  DH said it was just "too much" so we paid to have it done.  We have installed ceiling fans, put in outlets and switches, moved the water lines for our washer and run the 220 electrical for the dryer and stove, done plumbing repairs, He has moved gas lines (he is certified to do that) so we could hook our gas grill to the house supply.  We do all our own carpentry work, sheetrock hanging,  have laid vinyl floors, and painted every room in our house at least once in the 25 years we have lived here.  We enclosed our back porch to make a laundry room and it needed vinly siding.  We purchased the supplies and hung it ourself.  In less than 9 months DH will have a  AC/heating/refrigeration degree.  So he will then start servicing our unit and doing any needed repairs that may come up.  He is also a very skilled car mechanic.  We do all our own oil changes, brake jobs, tune ups and any other repair that he thinks he can handle on his own.  It has saved us SO much money over the years. He is a good teacher and has taught (and is still teaching) both of our sons many of these skills as well.   I'm blessed to have a DH who is able and willing to do so many "projects" around our house.

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 11:52 AM In reply to

We do everything here. Everything. And we make sure our boys are equally sufficient in skills too. Hence a former blog entry of mine :   http://community.stretcher.com/blogs/frugal_country_living/archive/2008/10/15/skills-are-good-to-know-even-if-you-never-use-them.aspx

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us