Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Home Haircutting...how do YOU do it?

Last post Fri, Oct 22 2010 10:44 PM by Anna Marie. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (35 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:02 PM

Home Haircutting...how do YOU do it?

I have been whacking my hair lately. Its been since last winter since I was at a stylist, and hoonestly I wasn't thrilled with the results considering what I paid for it. This week I layered my hair by grouping wet hair on top of my head and cutting evenly across. This looks better when I have some curls, but its been 2 years since my last perm so its pretty straight. I wore it that way for a few days but still ended up putting it in a ponytail to keep it out of my face when working. So I evened up the last layer by gathering it in the back and cutting across. Then I combed it in 3 sections...one straight down the back and 2 on each side of my neck. I could cut any uneven pieces that way. I trimmed my bangs too. So i'll see how it goes for a few days.

I have a home haircutting kit that I use on dh and the boys. In between I trim around their ears with a scissors.

How do you do your home haircuts? Is there one hair style that is easiest to maintain?

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:29 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: Home Haircutting...how do YOU do it?

I can't even cut bangs straight so don't cut hair though fil got a kit that someone left in the lobby and gave to us.  in their condo people leave small things downstairs for others.

so may have to try ds hair!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:44 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I have a very basic hair style with very straight hair. My mother and daughter cut it for me.

My daughter does her own but I really have no idea how she manages it.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:55 PM In reply to

I bought a Flowbee.  I have been through many hairstyles with it.  It has also kept up with wiggly kids.  I can cut my hair in a matter of minutes.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Tue, Sep 14 2010 7:45 AM In reply to

DH does his own hair, and our two boys' hair. He uses clippers. When he was in the military, he spent about $10 every two to three weeks maintaining his haircut, and he got tired of spending the money, especially since he didn't like the shaved-off look he often got at the barber shop. So he invested in a good pair of hair clippers and learned how to do it himself. I think he does a better job than some professional barbers! When he was in Afghanistan, he was the unit's designated barber, and he even cut the Colonel's hair!

When we lived in Germany, I couldn't find a hairdresser I liked, so I cut my own hair. (I have very curly hair, so any mistakes were easily hidden.) Here's what I did--I trimmed my bangs, then part my hair down the middle all the way, and put each half on either side of my chest going down the front. I cut them from there, so I could make sure they were even across. When I put my hair back to its "regular" psoition, there was always a piece in the middle that wasn't quite level. I'd pick that piece up with some of the better-cut hair, and cut the long piece to the same length as the better cut.

I've never tried layering my hair. I'm scared I'd mess up BAD.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Sep 14 2010 8:36 AM In reply to

No matter how bad you mess up, it will always grow out eventually! I have gotten so many bad haircuts that I had to pay for at the salon, I tell myself the price at home is right!

It helps that I have a medicine cabinet that has 3 mirrored doors on it so I can bend the side doors out and see the back of my head.

• Tue, Sep 14 2010 9:07 AM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:
    No matter how bad you mess up, it will always grow out eventually! I have gotten so many bad haircuts that I had to pay for at the salon, I tell myself the price at home is right!

Isn't that sad?!  That is exactly how I feel.  I would tell the person "my hair doesn't follow the rules" and "you need to do X,Y,Z instead".  They ignored me every time.  Then you hear this "hhhhuuuuhhhhh" when they are nearly finished.  I have a couple of "special" hairdressers in my memory.  When I'm nervous about trying something new, I remember them.  No matter how much I mess it up, it will never be that bad.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Tue, Sep 14 2010 9:28 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

DH cuts / trims my hair and does a great job. Its shoulder length now and I just blow dry and go. He cuts his own hair with clippers and I trim his neck. We haven't been to a professional in years.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:46 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

D, Bean is the haricutter in our family. Mine is long so we put it up in a ponytail then cut. She does the mens hair cuts. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Thu, Sep 16 2010 8:31 PM In reply to

I cut my hair some more this morning. I evened it up so its just below my shoulders and it seems to turn under much easier. I am happy with it.Smile

Page 1 of 4 (35 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us