Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Fleas are driving me buggy!!!!!

Last post Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:40 PM by Juneflower. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (36 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 12 2010 3:56 PM

Fleas are driving me buggy!!!!!

Several rounds of flea bombs, sprays, powders, baths, Capstars. Frontline, Sentinel......and still these 2 dogs have fleas! ARGH! The vet says we're doing everything possible. I am threatening to take both dogs back to the shelter if this doesn't clear up. It makes me crazy.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Sun, Sep 12 2010 4:30 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Fleas are driving me buggy!!!!!

Can you pinpoint when it started? or where they may be coming from?

Our vet warned us to be careful where we buy the flea treatments from - that some of the online companies weren't reliable. I don't know if that was a scare tactic or they were trying to get us to buy flea treatments from them.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sun, Sep 12 2010 4:35 PM In reply to

We got them too, even though my cats are strictly indoors only. I finally did the research when nothing seemed to work (same as you, bombs, sprays, insane cleaning, etc.), and it turns out that fleas are seemingly becoming immune to Frontline (either that, or they've changed their formula and not told anyone), because even people who've used it successfully for years are now saying it's no longer effective for them. Frontline was a joke--I think it actually made the problems worse, honestly. The only option I've heard of that works, including from the pest control company, is Advantage. So, I have some on order. I'll let you know how it works for me. If you find something, I'd love to know about it.

My little three legged furbaby is allergic to fleas, and now has a case of dermatitis on top of the itch of fleas. It's been going on for several weeks, and while I am doing everything I can to make her comfortable, she's clearly still pretty miserable :-( I am really, really hoping the Advantage works (in conjunction, of course, with more insane cleaning, Boraxing, etc.)

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Sun, Sep 12 2010 5:32 PM In reply to

You do know that the bombs must be repeated at twenty-one day intervals to get the newly-hatched ones. I've read that a saucer of water near a night light will get decrease their population. The light draws them, they fall into the water and drown.  Best wishes to you both.  AM

• Sun, Sep 12 2010 5:44 PM In reply to

• Momof2
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 4 2008
    • Florida
    • Posts 990

We went through this last summer with our indoor cat. I did the drops, bombed the house, used carpet powder- nothing worked. I even locked him and myself in the bathroom and sprayed him, boy did that not go over well!  I researched for a natural cure and read that garlic makes the blood taste strange to fleas, so I bought a bottle of Brewers yeast with garlic. It worked great, and is still working. I thought it would be a fight to get it down him, but he eats the tablet as though it were a treat. It also makes his fur very soft.

Shannon
  • Sun, Sep 12 2010 5:59 PM In reply to

So far, in 14 days, I've bombed the house twice. We don't have carpet, so no need to steam clean. I have vacuumed all the hardwood to make sure I get eggs out of the cracks, mopped *everything* before bombing both times, and the area rugs have all either been washed or flea-powdered and vacuumed. Furniture has been vacuumed and bombed, with covers & linens washed.  Borax under any cushions, between our mattresses, outside doors and replaced when it gets wet, etc. Cat sleeping areas washed (bleached for the hard areas). You get the idea.

Honestly, though, there don't appear to be fleas anywhere except on the cats. I haven't had a single one jump on me except when I am holding a cat, and neither has DH. When I applied the Frontline, the fleas just literally didn't die as they were supposed to. We had fleas once before, a few years ago, and when I applied the Frontline the fleas literally jumped off like rats from a sinking ship. I gave it 72 this time hours because I figured maybe I was remmebering it wrong, but it didn't help. I did get the Frontline from a veterinarian, and it appears to be genuine from the markings Frontline has published (their are instances of counterfeits, so they're publishing what to look for). That's when I started doing the research, and found out that it just appears to have stopped working around here. The pest control compan said they stopped recommending it altogether because they got so many complaints that it didn't work, and that Frontline wouldn't do refunds despite their gaurantee. They did tell me that until you can kill the fleas off the pets themselves, nothing else you do is going to do any good in terms of getting rid of them. 

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Sun, Sep 12 2010 6:46 PM In reply to

• Becky
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2007
    • Posts 574

Try shampooing the dog with Flea Soap. Then rinsing well with vinegar and water...2/3 cup vinegar to each cup of water. Vinegar is cheap so use it freely.

Also if the dogs ar double coated, which many Nordic Breeds are...you will need to rinse extemely well. All of the loose undercoat will need to be combed out.

Fleas will thrive in the dead and dirty undercoat. Use a flea comb in necessary. Other wise BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH before bathing to remove any loose hair/undercoat. Keep some vinegar and water mixed up in a spray  bottle and spray and brush the dog regularly, between bathing. Add brewers yeast or garlic to the diet regulary...teaspoon or no more than five days a week on the garlic. Sprinke your carpets with borax, let stand for 20 minutes and vacuum well be sure to get around base boards and edges... You can place dishes of water, with a little dishwashing liquid under electrical outlets with night lights...fleas will "go to the light" and land in the water and drown. Bomb the house a second time after 21 days or so. You CAN get thru this. Good Luck.

Filed under:
  • Sun, Sep 12 2010 6:55 PM In reply to

Hello,  A while back, I mentioned casually to Deborahmichelle about what we did for our pooch when she was discussing Heart having an itching problem. 

Indepth, when our pooch started scratching a few months ago, our Vet said:  Fleas! 

We didn't see any and our cats were not scratching ~ but last year we went through what you are going through now and no way could I tolerate all we did last year this year! 

First step, we called the pest control place who does our inside/outside (2 different fellows) ~ at an added expense, we added Flea control for our lawns (once a month) ~ front and back!  We do NOT walk our pooch off our property!  For the interior ~ they can only "guarantee" a spray of all carpet and furniture, where pets must leave for at least 12 hours, or until surfaces dry!~  We did that last year ~ no way this year!

Second step, the Vet changed all the medicines from Frontline and Advantage (not over the net) to Comfortis for the pooch and Revolution for the kitties! 

The kitties developed tape worms (anyway), from the fleas we did not know they had, and had to be treated for that! 

The pooch gets a medicated (not flea) bath each and every week at the Vets!  They are on the lookout for fleas!  None so far! 

We haven't seen any, nor have we been bitten, nor are the pets scratching!  I still have Capstar, should they dare to scratch ~ but so far so good!

You can control your pet and your pet's environment ~ but you can't control what comes from other people walking their dogs on your property or the wildlife that walk through your property.  It's one of those catch as catch can situations!   

It's very expensive, even if you have only one pet!  But if you don't catch the problem quickly, it will catch you! 

I'm so sorry!

• Sun, Sep 12 2010 6:59 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

You know ... We just took my son's cat to get fixed last week. When we were checking out and paying the bill, we got hit with a $280 bill. After I caught my breath, I questioned the charges.

"Didn't you get the 6 - pack of Frontline?"

"No - I didn't sign up for that."

"Oh ... we'll remove that charge."

Now I have to wonder if they know that Frontline isn't working and were trying to unload a bunch of it on me.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sun, Sep 12 2010 7:01 PM In reply to

Just another hint for those vacuuming ~ in your vacuum cleaner put a portion of a "flea collar", so if you vacuum up any fleas ~ the flea collar will kill them in the vacuum cleaner!

Page 1 of 4 (36 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us