Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Moving: Driving vs. Shipping?

Last post Sat, Sep 4 2010 12:58 PM by skromnypani. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 2 2010 3:22 PM

Moving: Driving vs. Shipping?

My daughter is moving home from Oregon to Texas after graduating from college.  I am trying to decide which would be more cost effective:  shipping whatever boxes of stuff she has and flying home, or loading everything up in a rented vehicle and driving the 1800 miles home (necessitating at least one night in a motel)?   She doesn't have enough for a moving van, but what about other shipping companies like UPS?  What's the general consensus here?  I know I can trust you guys to steer me to the right path!  

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"
  • Thu, Sep 2 2010 4:00 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Moving: Driving vs. Shipping?

I'd say for convenience and safety sake, fly home and ship the her stuff HOWEVER, be selective and get rid of stuff she really doesn't need or can be easily replaced. If she has another semester to go before this happens, she could start sending stuff a little at a time.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Thu, Sep 2 2010 6:54 PM In reply to

In today's world ~ no way would I ever permit a daughter (or even with a friend) travel in a rental for 1800 miles!  This world is more than dangerous! 

It might even be cost effective to only ship/mail her treasures to their destination and donate the rest!  Her tastes will change as she matures, and what is great today may be "old hat" next year!

• Thu, Sep 2 2010 7:51 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... I agree with selling most items and only shipping her treasures. Have a large yard sale and use the profits to purchase items when arrives in new place. Figure out the cost for rental, hotel and gas ... seems to me, a big expense for non-important items.   

• Fri, Sep 3 2010 8:07 AM In reply to

Thanks for your input, everyone!  She has been in an apartment for 3 years, so things have accumulated.  Some things aren't that easy to ship by mail; for instance, she has a big trunk. I'm unsure about finding "shipping companies" vs. "moving companies"  - just not sure what the difference is.

And, I was not going to let her drive home by herself!  Originally I was going to go out there and help her pack up and put stuff in a rented van and we were going to drive back together.  It was my husband who suggested having the stuff shipped and save ourselves that journey.  

Recommendations for trustworthy shipping companies? 

• Fri, Sep 3 2010 8:27 AM In reply to

You might also check with some of the mobile storage companies - the ones that bring a container to your home for you to fill; some of them will drive the container anywhere they have an office, and it can be cheaper than shipping rates using other methods.
  • Fri, Sep 3 2010 3:27 PM In reply to

Karenteacher:  thanks for this info!  I had not heard of this and am investigating it now!

• Fri, Sep 3 2010 5:08 PM In reply to

• AmyC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 24 2007
    • Posts 868

You can also ship by greyhound bus!   Often the buses are not full so you can send packages under the bus for cheap!   The downside is you have to pick them up when the bus arrives.  The service is called package express
    http://carneyexploits.blogspot.com

• Fri, Sep 3 2010 7:38 PM In reply to

These guys are who she was suggesting..SHIPPING PODS

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Sat, Sep 4 2010 1:48 AM In reply to

This might help your daughter in organizing her stuff for the big moving Smile
    http://hartfordauto.thehartford.com/Safe-Driving/Your-Life/Working-In-Retirement/moving.shtml

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us