Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Do you make your own "fast food"?

Last post Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:46 AM by Peaches. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 1 2010 12:16 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Do you make your own "fast food"?

I was surprised to find out that a friend had never made a plain, old fashioned hamburger in her life. When she gets a hankering for a hamburger, she goes to a fast food place. Mom used to make hamburgers every Saturday for lunch (we called it dinner then). She loved to watch baseball, so she'd make up a big pan of hamburgers, cut up some tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cheese and pickles and make a gallon of ice tea. We were on our own from there on out as she sat in the living room and watched the baseball game on TV. To this day, I prefer homemade hamburgers to any you can buy.

Maybe I'm lazy (or just cheap!) but I hate to go somewhere and buy food to eat when I can make it at home. Not only hamburgers, but tacos, fish and chicken sandwiches (on buns, if you want them that way), variations of beef sandwiches, subs, fried chicken, pizza and whatever else I forgot.

What do you make that's called "fast food" when it comes from a restaurant? Maybe I can get some new ideas.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Sep 1 2010 12:25 PM In reply to

Re: Do you make your own "fast food"?

I do make my own hamburgers, pizza, calzones, burritoes, chicken sandwiches, bbq pork sandwiches, french dip sandwiches, wraps, anything that we see when we're out at a restaurant and we like I usually try to make it at home.  I like my own cooking better than fast food, most of the time anyway.  I don't fry chicken much though.  My mom makes the best fried chicken so I eat it when she makes it.  

• Wed, Sep 1 2010 12:36 PM In reply to

Yes and no.Wink

DH makes a better hamburger than any fast food place so if we want burgers, we make our own. If we are out on the road and need to stop for fast food lunch, I order something else. I'm not impressed with any burger from burger king, mcdonalds, wendy's, etc. Maybe Culvers...but those are not found easily!

The only thing in town that I buy instead of make are Runzas. (Beef, cheese and cabbage filled rolls--local fast food specialty). They are just too labor intensive to make at home and if I am hungry for a Runza, I usually have a coupon for one. With about 10 locations here in town and one just 1/2 a mile from home, easy to get one!

If I'm hungry for tacos, pizza, BBQ, burgers or chicken, I can usually make my own. The only difference is if we are hungry for a certain type of pizza or I don't want to mess up my kitchen frying chicken. Then we get fried chicken from the deli.

Chinese is another fast food that we often order. I can make some great Chinese food but on our "planned" eating out nights, that's what we sometimes want.

Erika
  • Wed, Sep 1 2010 12:39 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

How do you make your calzones?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Wed, Sep 1 2010 12:53 PM In reply to

Pat:

How do you make your calzones?

I got a recipe for Spinach and Cheese Calzones in an old cookbook that I got at a garage sale.  It was put out by a hospital, if I remember right, and it had heart healthy recipes.  Here's the recipe I copied out of it:

Spinach and Cheese Calzones

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 Tbsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. salt

10 oz. package of spinach (I use a box of frozen chopped spinach)

6 oz. package Canadian bacon

1 tsp. Italian seasoning

1 cup shredded mozarella

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

16 oz. loaf frozen bread dough thawed (I make my own dough in the breadmaker)

27.5 oz. jar pasta sauce

Combine first five ingredients in a large skillet.  Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until bacon is browned.  Remove from heat.  Combine Italian seasoning and next three ingredients; stir into spinach mixture.  Divide dough into 8 portions.  Roll each portion into a 6 inch circle on a lightly floured surface.  Spoon 1/2 cup spinach mixture onto each circle; lightly brush edges of dough with water.  Fold in half, pressing edges to seal.  Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Coat tops of calzones with cooking spray.  Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes (mine always takes more like 30 minutes) or until golden.  Serve with warm pasta sauce for dipping.

• Wed, Sep 1 2010 12:58 PM In reply to

I like to take inspiration from certain restaurants and recreate the item at home.

On occasion, I like to make hamburgers, onion rings and milkshakes. 

At one of our local ice cream parlors they make a cute clown ice cream cone that I like to make as a special treat to round out the meal.

My DH loves a complete rib dinner and if we're out will most often order that, or he does enjoy brisket as well.  With extra money I'll pick those up and smoke it and have a feast for the cost of two dinners out, with leftovers for a couple of meals.

I've been challenging myself to recreate some meals of ingredients that I enjoy.  It's been fun too!

• Wed, Sep 1 2010 1:18 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Stacycue:
    I got a recipe for Spinach and Cheese Calzones in an old cookbook that I got at a garage sale.

Sounds good! Have you ever substituted something else for the Canadian bacon? I'm allergic to pork.
    Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Wed, Sep 1 2010 1:18 PM In reply to

I make homemade hamburgers a lot.I save leftover bacon, and we have bacon cheeseburgers.

I make pizza with homemade crust, meatball hoagies, tacos and burritos,chicken strips, and homemade french fries.

And BLTs, we love those! I have made doughnuts, but mostly from canned biscuits,( thats the only reason I buy canned biscuits)

Donna

• Wed, Sep 1 2010 1:20 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Striving1:
    With extra money I'll pick those up and smoke it

I have a smoker that I've fired up one time. I want to learn to use it, but am hesitant for some reason. With the price of smoked meat,  I should be using it all the time.
    Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Wed, Sep 1 2010 1:23 PM In reply to

Pat:

Stacycue:
    I got a recipe for Spinach and Cheese Calzones in an old cookbook that I got at a garage sale.

Sounds good! Have you ever substituted something else for the Canadian bacon? I'm allergic to pork.

I have only made it with Canadian bacon or ham, but even without meat it would be good.  In fact, when I saw the name of the recipe the first time I thought it was meatless and I was looking for more meatless meals.  

Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us