Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How Are the Sales?

Last post Sat, Aug 7 2010 5:35 PM by Cinnamonhuskies. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 3 2010 9:06 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

How Are the Sales?

How are you doing with stocking school or office supplies on sale?

Do you find the products that are on sale different from previous years? 

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Aug 3 2010 9:07 AM In reply to

Re: How Are the Sales?

I've been finding pretty much the same things, at the same prices, as long as I watch the flyers carefully.
  • Tue, Aug 3 2010 9:25 AM In reply to

I haven't seen the coupons for things like I used to. Before Mom had her stroke in 2007 I'd see lots of coupons/rebates for school supplies and those individual things of food. I belonged to a coupon train and I'd send on the coupons for things like pens and pencils and rebates for the other members.

Staples has been sending out a bunch of emails about their sales, though.

• Tue, Aug 3 2010 10:30 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I have almost all the things we need to replenish our supplies and stock for replenishment again in January.

Last year, I found coupons on Bic pens and coupled them with sales. This year, I have not seen a coupon for these and only Staples has had a sale on them. I see some stores focusing more on college dorm items and having basic supply sales almost as an after thought.

• Tue, Aug 3 2010 6:02 PM In reply to

I have all but 2 items that we need.  Just like last year there is 1 item on DD's supply list that is NOT a sale item anywhere -- the 48 pack of crayola crayons.  So, those will be about $2 - $2.50 for the box.  And I need more index cards so I post her vocab words, reading words, make math flashcards, etc.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, Aug 3 2010 6:41 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

sunshinetreva:
    And I need more index cards so I post her vocab words, reading words, make math flashcards, etc.

Index cards on sale at Walgreens this week. I think one of the other stores has them as well but I don't recall which one,

I had to pick up a few packs myself.

• Tue, Aug 3 2010 11:19 PM In reply to

I don't know what Staples does for home schoolers... but I do know that, as a teacher, the limits on items at the lowest prices are 25, instead of 5.  That makes a big difference when I am buying things for my classroom.
  • Wed, Aug 4 2010 7:54 AM In reply to

I finished my school supply shopping yesterday with the exception of a new bookbag for DS#2 and I will have that taken care of by the end of the week. I had a lot of items in my stockpile that I purchased last year so didn't need to get a lot of things.  I actually bought more for DH's college classes than for DS#2.  I was also able to reuse some things that were in good shape at the end of last year. I haven't seen the coupons this year for things like last year.  I also noticed that the wally world didn't seem to have as many school supplies this year as they have in the past. 

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Wed, Aug 4 2010 10:45 AM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 23 2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

Unfortunately, I can't really pick up anything other than paper, pens and pencils but I have been stocking up on those. DS won't know what he needs until he attends all his classes the first day of school so we'll be out fighting the crowds on the evening of the 23rd. DS won't need a back pack this year so that will save some money. Since he drives he carries his before lunch books with him and then trades them out at lunch. He also spends 90 minutes a day in baseball workout so no books needed there but he does have a equipment he has to deal with.

• Sat, Aug 7 2010 5:35 PM In reply to

YAY I got ds' laptop working again!!

I have his brother's Switched on Schoolhouse discs for Bible, Lang Arts, Science, History and Math for 10th grade to use. However, we wanted him to use Saxon's Geometry curriculum that just came out this year so we ordered the textbook home study set plus the Teacher DVD from CBD.com for $130. It's expensive, but his brother did much better with the Saxon with Teacher DVD for Algebra 2 last year so I's rather ds#2 use Saxon with a classroom teacher this year instead of the Alpha Omega SOS program.

I am attempting to buy a used but not written in partial set of the Lifepac American Literature. Someone has 3 out of 5 workbooks I need for $2 plus $4 postage. I already have the Teacher's Manual so I'll just need the other 2 workbooks for the course.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us