Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Making Baby Food

Last post Sat, Jul 31 2010 8:08 AM by Brandy. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 28 2010 2:34 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Making Baby Food

We have talked about cat food, homemade dog treats and even things we can use around the home to make bird food and bird feeeders.

What about our babies? Homemade baby food can be a frugal and healthy alternative to jarred food. Have you ever tried it?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 4:52 PM In reply to

Re: Making Baby Food

Oh yes, most definitely! In fact, I only buy baby food to keep in the diaper bag for emergencies or going out to eat.

I usually make up a big batch of food at a time. I'll cook a whole bunch of spinach, for example. I cook it until it's very soft, then blend it till smooth. I add in extra cooking water to thin it out if necessary. Then I pour the blended spinach into ice cube trays. I freeze it until it's frozen, then store the individual cubes in a freezer bag. Label it well!

You can use rice flour to make rice cereal, although the store-bought rice cereal is fortified with extra iron and vitamins.

Here is a website which I really enjoy: http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/ It gives ideas for baby foods that don't come in jars (such as melons, avocados, and quinoa), plus guidelines for introducing new foods to babies.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Wed, Jul 28 2010 4:57 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I bought some baby food for my son because he was allergic to so many things that we ate. I froze some things, but there were only so many options, so I would buy a few jars when I bought groceries so he would have something to eat, too. Thank goodness he outgrew most of his allergies.

Other than that, with the two others, I never bought baby food at all. They ate pretty much what we ate, only mashed or pureed

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Jul 28 2010 6:21 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I used jarred food for some things that were simpler to buy than make and for when we were out of the house but I made a lot for all three of mine.

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 6:28 PM In reply to

I was raised on homemad baby food, and now I make it for my clients. I do all kinds of veggies and fruits, though I don't currently do meats for liability reasons. I have current clients that are total foodies, and I often make fun baby food for them to help expand their son's tastes. Fortunately, he seems to love everything from lentils to yams to black beans :-)

It's so much healthier and cheaper to make it, though canned is definitely convenient for travel/outings.

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Wed, Jul 28 2010 7:23 PM In reply to

I made baby food for both of my kids.  I could not justify buying food.  I used fresh, frozen or in raw cases canned food.  I would just cook it and then run it through a baby mill and then freeze in ice cube trays.  Funny story once when my daughter was little we left her with my mil.  My mother in law feed her baby food bananas, she had only had read bananas, my daughter wouldn't even eat the baby food.

• Fri, Jul 30 2010 8:40 PM In reply to

nattieandtjmom:

I made baby food for both of my kids.  I could not justify buying food.  I used fresh, frozen or in raw cases canned food.  I would just cook it and then run it through a baby mill and then freeze in ice cube trays.  Funny story once when my daughter was little we left her with my mil.  My mother in law feed her baby food bananas, she had only had read bananas, my daughter wouldn't even eat the baby food.

Nattie that got me laughing....My SIL is so picky even with her child (mind you she has never been around kids) she wouldn't let her have a taste of a sucker on Halloween because she may become Diabetic ( from 1 sucker??) She wouldn't let the baby eat anything but baby food she would freak out if you gave her mashed potatoes then at about 2 years old she let her eat junk 24/7 like jugs of that nice red juice from the grocery store and wants to know why the child won't eat veggies..When the Mom also says yucky to every food out their. It's fun to watch the food drama..:O)

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 8:08 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Falconinburgundy:
    Fortunately, he seems to love everything from lentils to yams to black beans

I made more of my youngest's food than I did the older two. Having the internet opened me to ideas. I was amazed at the variety of food she loved.

I am convinced that the early exposure to real foods with better taste led to her being more open to foods later on.  

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us