Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

School uniforms

Last post Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:37 PM by pandraka. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (28 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 27 2010 7:21 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

School uniforms

Do your kids wear school uniforms? Pros and cons? 

There's been a little rumble here about requiring school uniforms, but we're out in the wild and wooly west and most don't take kindly to anything that takes away their individuality (or maybe they just don't like being told what to do). Have you had any experience with school uniforms? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Jul 27 2010 7:49 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: School uniforms

Pat:
    Have you had any experience with school uniforms? 

I have no personal experience. It has been years however since I have lived in an area that did not require it. Most of the people I know have become used to it.

Uniforms are one of the things I can hold up as a factor for homeschooling being a frugal choice.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 9:28 AM In reply to

Brandy:

Pat:
    Have you had any experience with school uniforms? 

I have no personal experience. It has been years however since I have lived in an area that did not require it. Most of the people I know have become used to it.

Uniforms are one of the things I can hold up as a factor for homeschooling being a frugal choice.

Not personally - although a friend of mine sent her younger son to Catholic school, and said the uniforms were much cheaper than the variety of clothes her older son had wanted; the uniform was khaki slacks and blue polo shirts, available everywhere - she bought 5 of each, plus a few extra in case he grew, and he was covered for the school year.

There's been talk off and on of instituting uniforms where I teach, and I kind of wish they would - as a teacher, I spend an absurd amount of time enforcing the dress code, time which could be better spent on instruction.  I really don't want to see boys' underwear (sagging is still a major issue, but less than it was) any more than I want to see girls' cleavage (and middle school girls, at least some of them, have an amazing amount to show, something I don't remember from when I was in middle school). 

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 9:57 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

karenteacher:
    the uniforms were much cheaper than the variety of clothes her older son had wanted;

Not happening in my house, lol. What my friends say they spend on school clothes for one, I don't usually spend to dress both my kids for a season. 

Not everyone has access to my prices, of course. However, what does seem to be common is that parents who buy school uniforms also have an entire set of play or after school clothes for their kids. They have essentially doubled the wardrobe and cost. Homeschoolers often just go with the one set so that alone lowers clothes cost.

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 10:24 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Brandy:
    However, what does seem to be common is that parents who buy school uniforms also have an entire set of play or after school clothes for their kids

That used to be the common thing whether they wore uniforms or not. "School" clothes and every day clothes were two different things, but every day clothes were likely to have been last year's school clothes handed down from the next oldest child.

Homeschoolers aside, having a separate, every day wardrobe doesn't need to cost very much. I don't know the cost of uniforms plus the cost of a secondary wardrobe would be as much, or more, than the usual school clothing. I haven't heard anything from retailers, but I would be interested to know how they see this, too. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Jul 27 2010 10:40 AM In reply to

My half-brother wore them when he was a student at a military boarding school. It meant that Mom didn't have to spend the big bucks on the right label for clothes for him. It also meant that he didn't have as many clothes that he could wear when he was on vacation. He also had to weat a certain type and brand of shoe.

I'll never forget the summer I wore a pair of his cut off jeans and my step-father announced how nice they looked on me and that I should keep them (he announced this in front of half-brother who hit the ceiling at this comment) ! It was hotter than ________ and we had no a/c in the house in NC.

I believe that one of the Episcopal schools in Richmond has uniforms. They used to have uniforms that were jumpers and the student provided the blouse.

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:15 AM In reply to

Brandy:

karenteacher:
    the uniforms were much cheaper than the variety of clothes her older son had wanted;

Not happening in my house, lol. What my friends say they spend on school clothes for one, I don't usually spend to dress both my kids for a season. 

Not everyone has access to my prices, of course. However, what does seem to be common is that parents who buy school uniforms also have an entire set of play or after school clothes for their kids. They have essentially doubled the wardrobe and cost. Homeschoolers often just go with the one set so that alone lowers clothes cost.

I don't have kids, so I can only say what friends who have said; my friend's son wore his older brother's hand me downs after school, and when his school uniforms got shabby, they became play clothes, and that it was much cheaper to outfit the one who wore uniforms than the one who didn't; they both needed after school clothes, as the school clothes had to last, and they both changed clothes after school - no matter what they wore to school.  Either way, she was buying 2 sets of clothes - but the uniforms were a lot cheaper than the brand names, and especially as the younger one got older and took better care of his clothes, as did the kids the next size up, she was able to buy them used; the school had an exchange set up for that - she gave her son's clothes to a smaller boy, and got a bigger boy's clothes in exchange.

What I can say is that the focus on fashion and brand-name labels is a distraction at school that I'd like to see go away - especially as the fashion sense of most middle schoolers is based on music videos, and is often not appropriate, at least not in my opinion.

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:45 AM In reply to

Pat:
    most don't take kindly to anything that takes away their individuality (or maybe they just don't like being told what to do)

Well, I wore uniforms from 6-12 and it didn't take a bit away from my individuality.  In fact, I strongly believe it strengthened my individuality because my sense of individuality comes from within rather than just rebroadcasting someone else's idea.  So IMO, they just don't want to be told what to do.

Even though at first sight uniforms are more pricey to some of us,  you can get by with less (who is going to notice if that was the very same skort you wore yesterday when they all look alike?)  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Tue, Jul 27 2010 12:21 PM In reply to

• Becky
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2007
    • Posts 574

My son is now out of school, and when he was going there was rumbling about uniforms but nothing came of it, that disappointed me greatly. While we were able to afford nice, and fashionable enough clothes for our one child, I felt uniforms would have made it easier on all parents. It would have leveled the playing field so that you could not so easily tell which kids came from affluent families, and which did not. It also would have made mornings and laundry easier, and a child could have gotten along with fewer clothes. This alone would have made life easier.

I am all for uniforms in school. I hope it happens more and more. In my opinion we as Americans have WAY too many clothes in our closets. And if people are like I am, I keep a lot of the stuff because it is nice and I "might" wear it. I remember when I was in school, my mom did laundry every day like I do. I had 3 pair of Jeans/slacks for school. One dress or skirt for good and a half dozen shirts and blouses, along with underwear and socks. 2 sweaters and a light jacket, one heavy coat for winter and 3 pair of shoes. One for everyday, one for dressup and one pair off tennis shoes. I learned to accessorize and never felt deprived. I also knew that when I got home I needed to change into "chore clothes" so as not to mess up my good clothing. I still do that to this day.

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 10:47 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

karenteacher:
    that it was much cheaper to outfit the one who wore uniforms than the one who didn't;

I bargain shop in the clearance racks of favorite stores and in thrift stores. I pay between .25 and $3 a piece for clothes. I certainly would be paying more if I had a child in school and paid the new price of $10 per piece and up for uniforms. 

When uniforms came to the schools where I was living, I remember cost was one of the arguments many parents used. They were hitting the bargain racks and second hand stores like I do or using hand me downs. The uniforms presented a higher expense that many struggled to afford.

I can see your point too. Some kids do not restraint or sense when it comes to what they wear. This can present issues in a school setting.

Page 1 of 3 (28 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us