Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Tar on vinyl siding!

Last post Sun, Aug 8 2010 10:15 PM by Grandma B. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 26 2010 12:21 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Tar on vinyl siding!

From a reader: 
    What will clean tar from white vinyl siding.  Roofers tossed the old roofing
    off and some streaks got on the siding.

Any ideas? 
    Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Jul 26 2010 12:40 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Tar on vinyl siding!

My best guess would be a petroleum based product like Goo Gone. Comes in a spray bottle and sells in hardware stores and Wal-Mart. Make sure you wear gloves and keep it away from children and animals. Do not use a razor to scrape it because you may damage the finish on the siding.

Also - you may want to contact a store that specializes in siding and see what else they recommend. They may have a better product or method to remove the tar. Call them before you try Goo Gone.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:01 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

I would call the roofing company and ask them to clean the siding before spending any $ and doing it myself.  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Sun, Aug 8 2010 10:15 PM In reply to

Our car wash here uses rubbing alchol on a cotton ball to get pine sap off cars, I wonder if it would work on tar. if you have some at least give it a try just make sure you hose it off good after.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us