Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

My Plans for Christmas Presents

Last post Wed, Sep 17 2008 8:01 AM by Dara. 146 replies.
Page 1 of 15 (147 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 10 2007 2:55 PM

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

My Plans for Christmas Presents

That's A Stretcher!

This post has won a TASSIE award. The award chosen was... Dollar Stretcher Grocery Tote Bag!

-------------------------------------------- 

I have an idea for baskets for Christmas presents for all the families on my list. I intend to make paper mache' bowls that I will fill with goodies. I bought several "Christmas" themed finger tip towels I picked up at Sears for a song after Christmas last year. They range in color from blue, to green and red. I also have some glass star shaped candle holders that I may just use around the house. I am hoping that each basket will be filled with all kinds of kitchen goodies and cost no more than $ 5 a piece. I am thinking of putting the finger tips towels, some home made soup mixes, a few cookies, and some candy in the bowels (baskets). What do you have planned?

• Wed, Oct 10 2007 3:04 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: My Plans for Christmas Presents

I've been working on this one (see the "Stocking Stuffers" post). I'm going to make a basket for my daughter's roommates but haven't decided everything about it yet. I will make some rock candy and maybe some fudge, maybe a loaf of bread. Don't know yet whether it will be a thrift store basket or a home made gift bag. I like your idea of paper mache bowl.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Oct 10 2007 3:11 PM In reply to

I do my yearly gift to my sister and brother-in-law of a free cleaning (they have a big house). They expect it and know I honor it, especially when the house is full of "fur bunnies". I have yet to decide what to get my parents. (Due to lack of funds, I tend to do "talent gift certificates"). They haven't been traveling as much so I still have an outstanding "free cat sitting for a week" coupon from last year. I might do a fruit/food gift basket to them since I tend not to use all of my FS during the holidays.

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Wed, Oct 10 2007 9:29 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Pat:
    I will make some rock candy and maybe some fudge

That sounds yummy! I have always wanted to try making rock candy. Is it easy?

Pat:
    I like your idea of paper mache bowl.

Me 2. Thought it was about the most frugal thing I could do, but still be artistic in my approach.
  • Wed, Oct 10 2007 9:36 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Luvd_Lioness:
    I do my yearly gift to my sister and brother-in-law of a free cleaning (they have a big house).

That's a nice gift. Couldn't get it done cheap by anyone else I am sure.

Luvd_Lioness:
    (Due to lack of funds, I tend to do "talent gift certificates").

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. One year, when my hubby was unemployed he had an idea we have yet to top. He had all this crate wood laying around and I had all of this upholstry material laying around that his sis had given me when she quit the business. So, we decided to do hassocks. They were big enough to store a pillow and blanket inside. Very nice. The next year he mae wooden magazine baskets and I dyed them with rit dye. They turned out really cool. I loved those times and wish we could still do something like that, but I would also rather he be employed. LOL

• Wed, Oct 10 2007 10:22 PM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 1,065

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • Wed, Oct 10 2007 11:22 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

kabin:

Pat:
    I will make some rock candy and maybe some fudge

That sounds yummy! I have always wanted to try making rock candy. Is it easy?

Sometimes. Big Smile  It doesn't always turn out, but it's fun to try. I have a couple of different sets of instructions, if you want them, I can email them to you or send them through a private message. I can't post them because they were copied from a web site.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Oct 11 2007 12:10 AM In reply to

I would love talent gift certificates! as long as the person was capable of doing them lol or goodies. My mom always makes almond sticks, a dutch tradition for all of us. She makes the almond paste from scratch. mmmm

My Family's Interests
  • Thu, Oct 11 2007 12:18 AM In reply to

The Talent Gift Certificate is such a great idea! I've decided to make hot pads and mug rugs (thanks to the suggestions in another thread). I made a small locker hook by melting a hole in a small crochet hook. I bought some burlap for about $.97 a yard and I'll use my quilt fabric stash.

• Thu, Oct 11 2007 8:04 AM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Gigi:

This year I was thinking of making either a tote probably shaped something like this: http://www.reusablebags.com/store/acme-bags-earthtote%E2%84%A2-reusable-shopping-p-10.html

Or a compact one something like this: http://www.reusablebags.com/store/acme-bags-workhorse-style-1500-p-1.html

And use them as a reusable gift bag. If they weren't too much of a problem to make, I could also make them as the present for music or Spanish teacher, or anyone else I have not thought about.

I actually like them both, but favor the 2nd one the best. Maybe it's just the style. I think it's a good idea for presents though.

Page 1 of 15 (147 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us