Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Academic Strengths and Weaknesses?

Last post Tue, Jan 22 2013 8:50 AM by Brandy. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 23 2010 10:05 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Academic Strengths and Weaknesses?

What are your academic strengths? What are your weaknesses?

Do your children share these or run opposite of you?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Jul 24 2010 7:09 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Academic Strengths and Weaknesses?

Abstract mathematics like algebra make me insane. I can handle numbers when applied in real situations (like budgets or building something). My strength was in language skills. Both my son's have good logic and math minds and can calculate quickly. They do have good language skills but enjoy math more.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sat, Jul 24 2010 8:32 AM In reply to

Toni, that's so funny -- I'm basically the opposite!  When I was 17 I had to go through some testing once for some gov't funding for school and they said I had very high abstract reasoning skills and that's part of why I did so well in math throughout high school.  Budgeting though is not my strong suit and something I work at on a regular basis.  But I can look at a piece of furniture and generally tell you if it will fit in an allotted space without measuring (quite handy in setting up a home!).

I love reading though and I love writing and I think that's why I study them; it's not as easy for me, but I truly enjoy the challenge.  DD's bio-dad is more ... structured.  He also studied English in college and was better at than me; language comes more easily to him, but not the learning of a foreign language.

I'm still waiting to see how DD is going to turn out.  I think 1st grade is going to reveal a lot about who she is, how she learns, etc.  She's a GREAT reader, but tends to be mostly self-taught in math.  In preschool she figured out how to add and then later how to subtract.  In kindergarten she figured out how to divide by 2 ("cutting" things in half is how she described it).  I would like to see how much she can do on her own given time and minimum instruction.  Patterns, shapes, matching, etc. come easily to her.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sat, Jul 24 2010 9:14 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

sunshinetreva:
    When I was 17 I had to go through some testing once for some gov't funding for school and they said I had very high abstract reasoning skills and that's part of why I did so well in math throughout high school.  Budgeting though is not my strong suit and something I work at on a regular basis. 
    This thread poses a great question. I muddled through my early education without being "aware" of my strengths and weakness and my report card did not accurately reflect my potential. It wasn't until I became a parent and involved with my sons education did I start exploring my own strengths - weakness AND learning style. I felt that being involved in my kids learning was really a second chance for me to re-learn what I missed the first time around. When my kids were 5 and 9, I enrolled in college full time to get a bachelors degree. I wanted to show my kids that you're never too old to learn something new.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sat, Jul 24 2010 12:05 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

When I was in school I was tested for special classes. I scored above grade level in language arts, science and history. I was below level in math. I did not need this test to tell me that. My weakness remains in the area of math. I do struggle at times to help the children with this. It's a good thing I have some assistance with it when I really need it. My two older children struggle with written math. The middle child does ok with math concepts when it's applied. The youngest seems to be doing the best in this area.

• Sun, Jul 25 2010 12:50 AM In reply to

As far as subjects went I didn't have any difficulties though I was always partial to English, Math & Science classes. If a subject engaged me I did very well. My difficulties came with my learning style. I don't exactly follow a linear process and prefer to do things my own way. Example... I never took notes in class and many of the teachers required a notebook to be completed with varied notes, class and homework, tests and quizzes etc. etc. Luckily for me most of my teachers gave me the opportunity to prove my way of doing things worked for me and so either exempt me from what the rest of the class was required to do or allowed me to simply copy someone else's notes at the end of each semester, and then as I progressed through each grade, those teachers passed this information on to my new teachers.

My son is very similar to me in how he learns and has been lucky so far to have teachers who are more concerned with making sure he is learning rather than forcing him to follow a strict formula guideline. It does make the work he does at home, or that I help him with easier since we understand one another. I know when to jump in and offer assistance or advice, and when to sit back and let him figure things out on his own. The major differences are that I am a total book fiend whereas he is having trouble finding books which hold his interest right now. It is hard to not try and push him to read more but I resist, since I have no worries about his reading skills.

Donna
  • Sun, Jul 25 2010 10:21 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

BookWyrm:
    Luckily for me most of my teachers gave me the opportunity to prove my way of doing things worked for me and so either exempt me from what the rest of the class was required to do

I had only one teacher who understood that I did not fit into the box and allowed me to work outside of it. He was my favorite teacher.

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 8:50 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Bumping this one up. It's the time of year when many are considering homeschooling for the first time in the upcoming months.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us