Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Insulated curtains

Last post 11-01-2009 1:15 PM by Juneflower. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-09-2007 2:05 PM

Insulated curtains

I want to make insulated curtains for the winter but I do not know what type of fabric to use for the back side to keep the cold out. I thought of fleece but it is expensive even at Wal-Mart.They will be tabbed at the top for hanging. I'd appreciate any ideas.Thanks for the help.

Kimmary

• 10-09-2007 3:53 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Re: Insulated curtains

You might get lucky and find a light quilt or blanket at a thrift store. Other than that, I'd be thinking about creating your own quilted material. It's not to hard with a sewing machine - just sew two or three layers together and "quilt" it by sewing seams at regular or random intervals.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 10-09-2007 4:11 PM In reply to

• Sue
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2007
    • Greeley Colorado
    • Posts 144

I have found flannel sheets at thrift stores that I used.  The colors didn't match so I layered the flannel in between some inexpensive material.

Sue

http://singingaswego.blogspot.com/
  • 10-09-2007 4:40 PM In reply to

I've used those foil-looking Mylar 'space' blankets for curtain liners before.  They're cheap enough to buy, but like the other poster said, ugly from the back side, so you'd need to add a cheap backing, sandwiching the Mylar in between the layers. They're crinkly, too, but they insulate very well.  Stitch over them just like regular fabric.

I always find those flannel-backed curtains at yard sales for a song.  You can use them as they are or use them for a middle layer between your chosen curtain and a back layer.  I cut the top pleated part off, or if you need all the length you can get, they un-pleat with just a snip or two.

I think you could line them with any vinyl or plastic - like an old shower curtain liner, clear plastic window covering or even a used flannel-backed tablecloth...Liz 

• 10-10-2007 10:04 AM In reply to

Thanks for all of your ideas. I knew I could count on all of you for help.

• 10-17-2007 11:34 PM In reply to

I agree with Lizzy about using plastic .. my late DM used old shower curtains on her patio drapes.   Another thought might be some sort of felt.

• 10-26-2007 12:06 PM In reply to

I've made "window quilts" in the past, and you'll find lots of instructions on the internet.  I was able to get new packing quilts (used to cover furniture/appliances, etc. during moving) for $5 each for this project, but old comforters, rugs, and other things can also be used. 

It's more than just thickness/layers of materials, it's also about trapping the air on all side, between the window and the "quilt".  Most window quilts are connected at the sides and bottom of the window with velcro, or you can also use strips of plastic magnets (which have a self-adhesive tape on one side) found at craft stores (avoid metal because condensation will make it rust).

Another method I've done is to make the window quilt with 2 sleeves (the place where you put the curtain rod) - one at the top and the bottom and put tension rods in both to secure the window quilt snuggly at both the top and the bottom of the window, rather than hanging from a rod, which will create that chimney-like air movement from the bottom of the curtain to the top (which isn't energy efficient).  If you need to open this window quilt, just move the bottom tension rod to the top of the window.  

It's also important that warm air rising from the room doesn't travel from the bottom opening of the window quilt through the opening in the top.  You need the window quilt to trap air in, not let air travel through it.  You may also need some sort of pelmet, cornice or valence at the top to trap air, depending on the style of curtain you use. 

I used the Mylar Emergency Blankets as the outside (back) layer because they are cheap and water resistant, which is important due to condensation from the windows.  If you just have fabric, it can get water stains on it.  I've also use inexpensive flannel-backed plastic tablecloths (plastic to the outside). 

Here's another good idea to create a barrier that is non-invasive and cheap (great for renters).  This is a new one to me and we're going to do this to as many windows as possible this year.  You can cut bubblewrap to fit windows and apply it to the window by spritzing water on the glass and putting the bubble wrap on the window.  I'd suggest using distilled water since minerals in tap water can actually etch glass and may mar your window.  You'll still have some visibility and light, but one more layer of insulation to the windows.  Just peel off when winter is over and use again next winter...

This one is a good glue-gun project....  I made a 2-piece shutter that fit into the basement egress window out of several layers of cardboard (got some large appliance boxes) glued together - to fit the window.  I wrapped the whole thing in aluminum foil (to help make it somewhat fire- and vapor-proof).  You can then finish it according to your budget and brilliance.  Make sure the back is covered by something that is vapor-proof (that dreaded condensation again), and fancy up the front with whatever you like (decoupage, or glue strips of  tissue paper on it to make it resemble a stained-glass window, use spray adhesive and attach some cloth, wrap the front in a poster, rip up brown paper bags and glue (plain old white glue) the pieces on the front, etc.....)  This type of shutter can be quickly put in place each evening and removed during the day.

-Gingerbread 

• 10-26-2007 6:36 PM In reply to

• Deb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Posts 1

Hi, thought I'd add my 2 cents in.  The least expensive way is to just go to your local fabric store and buy a few yards of the curtain liner that is similar to the roc-lon.  Hang that with curtain clips behind your existing curtains and voila, there you have it.  Don't even need to make anything new or change a thing.  The liner also blocks out noise and light.   If you do want to make something, just pick out any fabric and use that to line it.  Happy Fall y'all! 

• 11-01-2007 11:16 PM In reply to

Deb:
    The least expensive way is to just go to your local fabric store and buy a few yards of the curtain liner that is similar to the roc-lon.  Hang that with curtain clips behind your existing curtains and voila, there you have it.

That must be similar, if not the same thing as I was looking at in Lowes last week. At Lowes it was $19.95 a set, which means per window. I about fell over. Not only is it not in my budget, I think I am going to stick to the idea my Dh has. Just cut up pieces of foam insulation to fit inside the window. It keeps the warm in, but it also keeps the light out. I would just be happy to not have the furnace running all of the time. The north end of the house seems like the coldest part of the house and the furnace will run more because of it. I am not liking that idea at all.

• 11-01-2007 11:30 PM In reply to

Here's my listing of websites, I've kept all these years, regarding window quilts.  Hope they all work.

Homemade Thermal Shade-  "Mother Earth News"- Issue #84- Nov/Dec 1983

Here's the link for www.motherearthnews.com  Type in "homemade thermal shade" in the question box

www.manytracks.com/Homesteading/winquilt.htm

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us