Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

What Can You Tell Me About Lightning Rods ?

Last post Tue, Jul 27 2010 12:53 PM by Becky. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 19 2010 2:13 PM

What Can You Tell Me About Lightning Rods ?

My house has been struck by lightning twice in 11 months. Both times the security system got fried. The phone got fried also.

• Tue, Jul 20 2010 5:34 AM In reply to

• swedluv
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 1,713

Re: What Can You Tell Me About Lightning Rods ?

VNW, I would have someone check to make sure your house is properly grounded. I lived in a place once that in a year's time got my pc and my phone twice. I found ut the darn house wasn't even grounded! Dh and I decided that I would move in with him a month earlier than planned, so that definitely worked out!Wink

Lynn

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 12:53 PM In reply to

• Becky
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2007
    • Posts 574

Re: What Can You Tell Me About Lightning Rods ?

Do you have a lightening rod? If not you need one..it would be mounted at the highest point on the house and a ground wire would be run from it down and attached to a metal post fastened into the ground, I believe. Then when lightening strikes it would strike the rod being the highest point and run all of that energy down the wire and into the ground where it could do no damage.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us