Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Are you ready for heating with wood this winter?

Last post 02-16-2012 11:04 AM by babs. 86 replies.
Page 1 of 9 (87 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-10-2010 7:48 PM

Are you ready for heating with wood this winter?

We got our $20 state wood permit and got all our wood cut over Memorial Day weekend! Its not all split and stacked yet, but it's at least here next to the wood shed.

Is anyone else here teady for (yuck) winter heating season?

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 07-10-2010 8:29 PM In reply to

Re: Are you ready for heating with wood this winter?

DH got a good haul of wood from a storm-felled tree .. he says that with what we already have, we're in good shape. (though we burn a lot less wood than you do)

• 07-10-2010 8:56 PM In reply to

uuuhhh no gas went up again for wahington maybe in a year I can move and use wood thats good ...

chrissanne
  • 07-11-2010 9:46 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

We only use our fireplace if the electricity goes out in the winter. We don't have a really functional fireplace. It's more for show as it's too small to heat the whole living room.

This was very disappointing. I had a fireplace in the past that we used to reduce heating costs by using it to warm our main living area during the day. I was hoping to do this again.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-11-2010 11:07 AM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:

We got our $20 state wood permit and got all our wood cut over Memorial Day weekend! Its not all split and stacked yet, but it's at least here next to the wood shed.

Is anyone else here teady for (yuck) winter heating season?

Ashamedly, no. Did really well last year, but after all the staff cuts at work I have been working so much overtime I haven't cut a stick. I found a guy who gives a good load of wood for a reasonable price, and I calculated the time and cost involved, and I come out way ahead by buying from him with the overtime money than I do cutting it myself. I had hoped to get some before now, but I will have to start it in August I think. Of course my daughter's college expenses are due then, then I just came home and found one tailpipe was hanging off the truck, and then there's.......

I think you get the picture. Kind of depressing that the more you make, the more comes by to take it. I am sure I will cut a little myself to add to the 2 weeks worth left from last year. If can get a dumptruck load or two I should be fine. Theoretically. In a pig's eye.....Hmm

"Photography is not about what's there, it's about what you let them see!"

http://www.digitalmat.com
  • 07-11-2010 11:09 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we have our yearly permit and we harvest dead fall the forest service is allowing cutting up on their side of the top we got all the tops and small trees we have alot of wood out there and when the price of propane dropped whe topped off the tanks  we ready for winter but with them having brown outs we are using the generators alot .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 07-11-2010 11:45 AM In reply to

I don't use the 2 chimneys as Mom had them capped. I had thought about getting a pelet stove back in 2007 until I read that they don't work when the electricity is out. This was before I replaced the 2 heat pumps.

We had a really cold winter in 2010 and my house was not that warm. I decided that I would invest in more Cuddle Duds to wear under my slacks and that I'd wear layers.Inflation fighter I will be on the look out for a couple of more sets of flannel sheets.Inflation fighter

I've got over 40 trees in my yard. I would be perfectly willing for people to take the smaller tree limbs/branches that fall. We lost 2 huge Pecan trees in 2003 during Hurricane Isabel. Mom tried to give them away as they would've provided enough wood for almost 2 years. No one took Mom up on her offer. Go figure. If that were to happen again, my organized friend's dh would come over and cut them so that they could use them.

Actually, if I lose anymore trees, I will notify the church that my friends attend and they will come and cut up the wood for people in need that attend that church.

So...I will be heating my house again with the 2 heat pumps and I'll be wearing layers in really cold weather.

• 07-11-2010 2:54 PM In reply to

DigitalMat,

Doesn't it seem like you either have time or money but never both at the same time?!

We cut wood during one of dh's layoffs Memorial week. The way his work has been its feast or famine. When there's work, he works. When the shop runs out he is laid off, until there is work to keep him busy again.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 07-11-2010 5:59 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cinnamonhuskies:
    Doesn't it seem like you either have time or money but never both at the same time?!

That's the way it is for us.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-11-2010 9:30 PM In reply to

WE have some wood from a large maple tree that we had to take down. I think that we need to buy a couple of cords but DH is draggin his feet. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 9 (87 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us