Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Underarm stains...

Last post 10-21-2007 6:25 AM by NancyJo. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-08-2007 9:44 AM

Underarm stains...

Dd has one work shirt and it's all she can get for the time being.  It's a red polo shirt and gets worn and washed every day, but under the arms, the material has gotten 'hard' - from her deoderant, I guess. 

So far, I've tried:  soaking and washing in hot water, even poured boiling water over the underarms, vinegar, all-fabric bleach and several laundry stain removers, peroxide and ammonia.  No change - there's no b.o. smell, just the material is so stiff there.  I'm wondering if the chemicals in the deoderant changed or damaged the material and it can't be fixed...any other ideas to try?  Liz 

• 10-08-2007 9:50 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Underarm stains...

My husband stopped wearing deodorant because we were finding it left stains on his dress shirts and white uniforms. So I'd say that the stuff has some chemicals in it that make it hard on clothes.

What's the issue with getting another shirt?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 10-08-2007 9:57 AM In reply to

What is the best way to remove yellow pit stains on white? (assume cotton)  

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 10-08-2007 9:59 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

The only way I have been able to get them out prior to my husband's ceasing the deodorant was with bleach. My mother says Oxiclean works for my Father's dress shirts.

• 10-08-2007 11:48 AM In reply to

I don't know why on the shirts - everybody only has one and most of them came used :-(  I've noticed everyone's is faded, dd's is too small for her and it really makes the front counter crew look a little tacky, IMO.  Their boss is the owner's son, and he's only 21 or so -  I don't think he notices the uniforms.  I've told dd as soon as the next person quits (or gets fired) to nicely say good-bye then ask for their shirt, lol!

Can I ask what your hubby use in place of deoderant?  Dd uses a pretty strong one, says it's all that works for her, but it's killing her clothes...Liz 

• 10-08-2007 11:55 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

This is one area that my husband goes very natural. He doesn't use anything, just a freshening with a wash cloth if needed. I am sure this won't work for everyone but the only change we noted was that he didn't have that heavy scent from the deodorant.

• 10-08-2007 11:59 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Some people have had good luck with baking soda/water splash, others have used vinegar. Those deodorant stones are natural, leave nothing on your skin and they work, but maybe not for everyone, I don't know. Underarm odor is caused by bacteria, so a light smear with an antibacterial salve will work, but it's not very frugal.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 10-08-2007 12:02 PM In reply to

TizzyLizzy:

but under the arms, the material has gotten 'hard' - from her deoderant, I guess. 

So far, I've tried:  soaking and washing in hot water, even poured boiling water over the underarms, vinegar, all-fabric bleach and several laundry stain removers, peroxide and ammonia.  No change - there's no b.o. smell, just the material is so stiff there.  I'm wondering if the chemicals in the deoderant changed or damaged the material and it can't be fixed...any other ideas to try?  Liz 

I had this problem. I solved it by taking a bar of felz naptha soap, got the pit wet and rubbed the area with the soap and rubbed it in. Then took the material and rubbed it together fairly hard and proceeded to wash it in the laundry. Almost all came out in the first wash. I also switched deodorant. I have been using a deodorant crystal and that has helped to slove the build up problem. Good luck with this. I know how annoying and embarrasing it can be.

Kathy

• 10-08-2007 12:05 PM In reply to

Pat:
    so a light smear with an antibacterial salve will work, but it's not very frugal.

At times I have put isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab and dabbed my under arm. It works and it's cheap. I have been trying to not use any deodorant at all, but of course I don't want to smell.  Embarrassed

• 10-08-2007 12:11 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

kabin:
    At times I have put isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab and dabbed my under arm. It works and it's cheap. I have been trying to not use any deodorant at all, but of course I don't want to smell.

That would be another good substitute, I didn't think of that.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us