Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Packing Food To Go

Last post 08-16-2010 1:53 PM by truepeacenik. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-10-2010 9:59 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Packing Food To Go

My daughter and I walk through ourneighborhood to the main street in town. This isn't a very long walk but on a hot day that includes a trip to the library and the playground, this means we get thirsty and maybe even a little hungry.

My solution to the spending we have been doing in grabbing refreshments at the store is to bring our own. I am hunting a bargain backpack that has the compartment to hold reuseable water/sports bottles so they don't drip.

Food would be carried in the packs so the upright stuff I have used to pack my husband's lunch in a little cooler won't work. I need some ideas for food storage that won't compromise library books or other things we will be carrying in the backpacks. I have done dry things like raisins, peanut butter and crackers but we still end up stopping for food.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-10-2010 10:14 AM In reply to

Re: Packing Food To Go

Lands End stuff isn't cheap, but the quality is wonderful. Sometimes they have specials on shipping.

L.L.Bean has good quality.

I'm not into spending $$$, but I've found that if I get good quality things last a long time. I tend to use stuff a long time.

• 07-10-2010 10:29 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-04-2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,425

I will vouch that L.L.Bean products are better. Last year backpack for school was a L.L.Bean. I paid more for then a walmart back pack and it was on clearance to. Look at Kohl's and they might have a few on clearance.
  • 07-10-2010 3:11 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Keep in mind that I am not purchasing a backpack for daily or very heavy duty use.

I have been using a free promotional tote bag for the last few months for the library books we carry. The kids each have backpacks I picked up second hand and both are on their third year of use with them. I am just replacing my tote bag with something that better suits my needs.

I am also passing on getting the grocery cart or wagon I had considered earlier, at least for now, in favor of each having our own backpack to carry the books, snacks and anything we buy.

• 07-10-2010 3:17 PM In reply to

Brandy:
    The kids each have backpacks I picked up second hand and both are on their third year of use with them. I am just replacing my tote bag with something that better suits my needs.

I was going to suggest hunting for a bargain at your favorite second-hand store. Many backpacks nowadays have mesh holders on the outer sides for holding sports bottles.

Don't limit your hunt to backpacks, though. There are some baby bags these days that don't look "babyish". We have a large baby bag made by Jeep that looks only like a duffel bag. (DH refused to carry our first, blue jungle themed baby bag.) So maybe hunt through your baby department at the thrift store, too.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • 07-10-2010 3:24 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

slk2042:
    Many backpacks nowadays have mesh holders on the outer sides for holding sports bottles.

My daughter has one mesh pouch for the bottle but my son has two.

His bag is fairly sturdy with a reinforced bottom and rubber pieces to protect it from being torn up. His was made by Arizona Jean Company. Hers is smaller with one pouch and isn't quite as heavy duty but it was I think $2 used and looked new, still looks great.

• 07-10-2010 3:27 PM In reply to

As we move into the school sales, now is a good time to look for backpacks.  Many of the kids' packs have the compartments you're looking for, and some have wheels.  Parents who buy their kids' new items every year may be selling or donating old backpacks around now.  If you don't find one at the school sales, wait for the fall clearance sales on outdoor supplies - many of the better outdoor outfitters have sales around Labor Day selling off the summer items, to clear the way for winter sports items and newer models of summer items.
  • 07-10-2010 3:31 PM In reply to

At the risk of looking like a little old lady, how about one of those little shopping carts that you pull behind you? I've been tempted to get one myself.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 07-10-2010 3:44 PM In reply to

I recently packed three pieces of homemade cake to go in a cleaned out McDonald's cup.  I sliced the squares in half, flipping the iced side in so as not to run or stick to the wrapping and wrapped each piece individually.  I put them down into the cup, put the lid on and froze the whole thing.  Everything was disposable when we were finished eating.  Several things can be packed sorta upright in this fashion I would think - smaller cups would hold tuna salad with some crackers pushed down into it, even melon cubes put into a cup and frozen would be good to eat in transit.  Don't forget to poke in a plastic fork or two or add some napkins.  Liz.

• 07-10-2010 3:59 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Toni B.:
    how about one of those little shopping carts that you pull behind you?

I considered that and have decided I prefer swapping my bag in for something more like what the kids have. 

Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us