Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Food as Medicine

Last post 12-09-2008 11:53 AM by Pat. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-07-2007 10:18 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Food as Medicine

We touched on this a little in another thread somewhere, but I was thinking about it this morning. I was playing with another version of the candle stove and cut/scraped my hand in two places. Normally I wouldn't have paid much attention to it, but it keep bleeding, slowing me down. I vaguely remembered reading somewhere that sugar would slow the blood flow, so I sprinkled some on, just to see. Lo and behold, it worked. I left it on for a few minutes, then rinsed it off and it had quit bleeding completely. Made a believer out of me! Big Smile I put honey on it next, to seal it over and (they say) heal it faster. We shall see.

Anyway, after that, I started thinking of the ways I already use food as medicine and thought it would be smart to have a list to refer to.

Here are some of the ways I can think of right now:

Salt as a mouthwash and gargle for a sore throat and/or mouth infection or pain. It kills bacteria and germs.

Clove oil or whole cloves to stop the pain of a toothache or sore gums. 

Peppermint tea, used hot, will help unclog sinuses when you inhale the vapors. It also helps chest congestion. It's a relaxer, and it helps the digestive system, but don't use it before bedtime if you have GERD or are prone to heart burn, as it relaxes the muscle at the top of the stomach (I forgot what it's called) and allows stomach acid to back up into the esophagus.  

Yogurt will end a mild case of most fungus infections. It has to be plain, with live cultures. Don't use any that has sugar of any kind, because sugar feeds fungi.

Vinegar, of course... use it for:

• Sore throat, mixed half and half with honey. Take a tablespoon at a time.
    • Disinfectant in a pinch. It stings, but does the job.
    • Some cases of athlete's foot and/or toenail fungus. Soak in half vinegar/half water
    • Sunburn remedy. Spritz or run vinegar over the area and allow to dry. Repeat as often as necessary. This will keep the skin from blistering and help it heal faster.
    • Some headaches respond to vinegar fumes. "A Frugal Headache Remedy with Vinegar" explains how it works.

Baking soda, mixed with water to make a paste, will neutralize the venom from a bee sting.

Baking soda is a quick acid reducer. A half teaspoon in a half glass (or less) of water, downed quickly, will do it.

What foods do you use, or have heard can be used, as medicine?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 10-07-2007 6:25 PM In reply to

Re: Food as Medicine

I use apple juice for headaches. The tartness in the juice does something to alleviate the pain. (Even organic apple fruit leathers work). 

Cinnamon for nausea. I haven't been able to much of this lately but even the smell helps. I used to do cinnamon toast when nauseated (now I don't have bread in house).  Ick!

I know I've used more but I can't think of them off the top of my head. For me the apple juice one saves me $$ on tylenol and other medicines, and it's easier on the liver.

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 10-07-2007 8:08 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

very hot spicy seasoning in a soup etc. to relieve congestion

warm milk to soothe you before bedtime

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 10-07-2007 9:30 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Cherries of any kind or form for gout.  Sounds funny doesn't it, but it is in several Natural healing books. My husband got gout, took 2 rounds of meds and nothing worked. We read about cherries, he started eating dried cherries and 2 days later it was gone, and hasn't come back in 3 years.  He eats a handful every day. It's something about an enzyme that breaks up the uric acid that causes gout.

Ginger is good for inflammation and intestinal cramping.  I make a tea of peppermint, chamomile and ginger and drink that often.  It seems to help make me feel better and it tastes pretty good.  E

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 10-08-2007 7:41 AM In reply to

For all of us menopausal and premenopausal women, I use cinnamon to fix crazy menstrual flow.

Either chew on a a stick (blech!) or sprinkle on food. I eat lots of cooked apples, applesauce and toast when I'm having trouble. Works for me.

Oh, and whatever problems you're having, just google it with "natural remedies." There are lots of sites that offer help. 

SAHWife and mom of 2 (oh, and my dad lives here too!)
  • 10-08-2007 8:22 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I use a honey, lemon juice and water blend for coughs.

Lemons are good when our throats feel a little scratchy and we are hoarse.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 10-08-2007 10:58 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

gardengirl:
    Oh, and whatever problems you're having, just google it with "natural remedies." There are lots of sites that offer help.

That's true. Let's become one of those sites. With all the heads we have here, I'm sure we can compile an impressive list of "food as medicine" remedies.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 10-08-2007 4:01 PM In reply to

• Amy B
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-18-2007
    • Chicagoland
    • Posts 253

I've used potatos to draw out infection (works on a pimple or a boil, brings them to a head).  Some people will use these on an open wound, but I never have.

Chamomile tea for insomnia. 

Fennel for increased milk production while nursing (it helped me some)...taken in capsule form.

Chicken soup while sick, of course.

Many people use cranberry juice to prevent urinary tract infections, although I've never needed to try this particular remedy.

Raspberry leaf tea in Russia, for fever (this really works).  Also, valerian for anxiety or nerves. Also in Russia, whole garlic cloves, eaten raw, to stop a cold.  The first time I went to Russia, in '92, there was very little medicine available for people.  I was impressed by how many home remedies people there still use even now that most people can afford aspirin, etc.

Chicagoland Chic
  • 10-08-2007 4:09 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

I just read that Concord grape juice is as good as wine for a blood toner and that it brings down high blood pressure for hours after drinking it. It didn't say how much, though.

Also, celery will bring down high blood pressure.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 10-08-2007 4:11 PM In reply to

I have to remember the apple juice one for headaches!  Have to see if it works on sinus ones.

My Family's Interests
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us