Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Food Waste Fridays (about trying not to have any food waste at the end of the week)

Last post Sat, Nov 24 2012 2:41 PM by BargainBinge. 212 replies.
Page 1 of 22 (213 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 3 2010 9:55 PM

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Food Waste Fridays (about trying not to have any food waste at the end of the week)

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2010/07/food-waste-friday-yes-2/

discovered this blog and thought one thing she started was food waste fridays to hold her self accountable for the food she wasted so motivating her to use it up. She invited others to join her.  Seems to be working for her!   So I thought maybe it was something to try here.

threw away some bread ends of loafs, 2 raspberry pies from mcds, cup of leftover rice (all this from last weekend)  out of the fridge..chucked leftover choc bunnies from xmas that the kids just ate the heads and a bag of melted choc marshmellows. kids got way too much choc at xmas. 

discovered some things that need eating fast..mostly by me...the rhubarb strawberry pie and pasta...though I may freeze the pasta. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Jul 3 2010 10:26 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Food Waste Fridays (about trying not to have any food waste at the end of the week)

I have been tossing too much food out lately. Mostly it's one or two servings left of something or produce that is turning. 

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Jul 3 2010 10:38 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Food Waste Fridays (about trying not to have any food waste at the end of the week)

Today, I threw out about half cup of potato salad
    A sweet potato that was rotten in the bin. half a cup of chicken and rice soup. All were actually my Moms food. She never finishs up what I fix for her. Somethings no one else will eat. She hates leftovers. I think that this is a good challenge. Martha, will you keep us on track for Fridays to report? Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:04 PM In reply to

Eatting fruit up this weekend so they don't go bad and my muffins for breakfast they are yummy

chrissanne
  • Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:31 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... thanks for sharing the article and site, interesting to read. I go through mine on Saturday am - this week tossed a cuke that was rotten inside but looked fine on the outside, two radishes with spots and one cup potato salad (got pushed into back). Some weeks better than others.

Babs - My one daughter is the same on 'left-overs'. We just started to not ever call any meal we ate a 'left-over', even if it had leftovers in it! Maybe you can become creative with her meals  : ) 

• Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:47 PM In reply to

I tossed some spaghetti that got put into the wrong fridge, some spinach that got pushed back, some potatoes (odd since we eat them like they are going out of style), and a variety of misc leftovers that were packaged for DH's lunch and he forgot.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Sun, Jul 4 2010 5:54 PM In reply to

I love this idea, and hope to use it to keep myself accountable as well!! When I cleaned out the fridge on Wednesday (before going to the store), I threw out the following: approx. 1 cup of sloppy joes, 1 pint container of red raspberries, a medium size bowl of macaroni salad, and enough leftover spaghetti to probably feed both kids & me at least one lunch. *sigh* Oh yeah, I also threw out about 1/3 of a peppecorn pork tenderloin. It wasn't a big hit with the family the other night.

~*~Angie~*~

• Sun, Jul 4 2010 6:13 PM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

I am one of those that hates throwing out food. I try to avoid it. I normally don't throw out food but when I do it is mostly what I fix my hubby and it didn't get ate. I try to keep up with it and remind him of his starch veg.
  • Sun, Jul 4 2010 6:49 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I do better during winter because of my soup bucket ....

I have been cutting down I been freezing left overs but the freezers

are full .. 

this is one challenge I am whole heartedly in  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Jul 4 2010 8:14 PM In reply to

ribs and a big pot of rice list goes on to use things up...

chrissanne
Page 1 of 22 (213 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us