Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Barbecuing Without Taking Out a Loan for the Food

Last post Thu, Jul 1 2010 3:01 PM by CTMOMto4. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 1 2010 10:00 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Barbecuing Without Taking Out a Loan for the Food

Ohhh the smell of food grilling takes me back to the big cook outs my parents used to have.

The cost of those enjoyable meals certainly seemed smaller years ago. Can we still afford to grill?

Bankrate has an article called Slicing the Barbecue Budget

Do you have more ways to cut the cost of a barbecue or griled meal outside?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jul 1 2010 12:46 PM In reply to

Re: Barbecuing Without Taking Out a Loan for the Food

Interesting reading, thanks for posting. Originally, 3 of us were to be away at camp. Last minute change in plans, no camp this year, saving us $650. I had already planned my menus for my "small family week" and have to rethink them. We'll certainly be grilling, the forecast if perfect this upcoming weekend. If my BIL's are around, they'll be invited, too. Cheap eats? Here are some ideas:

-BBQ chicken legs (got some in the freezer I paid 79/lb for ) using huge, bonus size bottle of sweet baby rays for 28 cents.

-ground poultry is much cheaper than ground beef for me. I add eggs, bread crumbs, shredded veggies, spices. Tasty, moist and healthier than beef

-skewered cubed up sale boguth BSCB mixed with veggie chunks. Marinate in HM marinade, serve on rice

-buy blocks of cheese and slice your own for burgers. Also, processed AMer cheese slices is cheaper than Deli AMer cheese. Acceptable for burgers

-Ball Park angus beef franks-BOGO plus $1 of 2 pkgs=$2/pkg

-store bought buns from the clearance rack or make your own.(I use an ABM to make the dough)

-baked beans (I can make my own (have some already in the freezer) for $1/28 oz can equivalant). I also use this price point for buying canned beans. Dollar Tree recently had Allen's 28 oz beans for $1, I stocked up

-condiments-ketchup, mustards etc are super cheap right now. Sales plus cpns, I often pay $1 or much less

-coleslaw (cabbage and carrots are always cheap. Slice up your own, don't buy preshredded). Make your own coleslaw dressing for pennies vs the jarred stuff. Mayo, vinegar, spices-certainly that is already on hand

-salad-use garden produce if possible,make your own dressing for pennies

-Jello- salad-make your own

-home brew tea for pennies vs buying the powdered mix stuff or bottled stuff.

-sodas? buy 2-3 liters and set up a drink table. ALOT cheaper than cans.

-lemonade from concentrate

-mix up generic koolaid packets with bulk buy generic "splenda" instead of buying Crystal lite

• Thu, Jul 1 2010 1:06 PM In reply to

While I don't grill, I watch for sales on my frozen burgers and I buy 2 boxes at a time.

I've noticed the costs going up on baked beans and how the sales are not that good on baked beans.

• Thu, Jul 1 2010 3:01 PM In reply to

VA-yes,.baked beans are pricier this year~! I make up 3 bean pots at a time and freeze in meal size portions. Beautiful day here today, breezey about 70 degrees.. If I had to, perfect for running a low oven all day.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us