Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Job Hunting Realities

Last post 09-07-2010 8:23 PM by MarthaMFI. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2010 12:54 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Job Hunting Realities

"If you've been job hunting for a while, it's likely that nothing can shock you. Still, these job-search realities may give you pause. The 2010 job market is different from what many of us are used to, and some job-hunt tactics that used to work well are now ineffective (or should at least be reexamined). These six points represent the new reality--is your job search on the mark?"

From Yahoo

Ms. Ryan says that web applications do not get read. That much I believe. More companies are only accepting applications through the web or through their own in company/store electronic set up. How do you get around this to speak to a real person? There are companies whose employees say there is no one to speak to about a job opening, the electronic application is the sole means. 

Is this becoming common?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 06-25-2010 1:41 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,458

Re: Job Hunting Realities

Brandy:
    Is this becoming common?

I think it will become more common as time goes on. Probably web applications will carry more weight if the companies continue the trend. It's kind of new right now and maybe hasn't taken off yet.
    Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 06-25-2010 2:48 PM In reply to

Even though I am unofficially retired, the last job I applied for was this past February. It was the library I left in 2004 to go to work in the Dept. of Corrections. As it happened, I went in because one of the other librarians had just passed away and my former supervisor asked if I wanted my old job back. I said yes. However there had been some changes to their system and the employees had gone to a civil service system which meant it was far more competitive. In spite of my vast library experience, I had to sign up for part-time substitute clerk meaning no regular schedule or hours. By the time I did get part approved the library budget was going up for a vote in the town/city. Unfortunately the budget got voted down so instead of needing a substitute clerk, they were cutting jobs and didn't need me. If thing change or improve I could be called in but I'm not counting on it. So even if you have an inside track to talk to someone, other things can definitely interfere.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 06-25-2010 2:58 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Toni, that is complicated. How do they keep track of their own system??

• 06-25-2010 3:27 PM In reply to

In terms of the library budget and employees? Before they were a community library and the funds were tied to the school budgets and the rest came from fundraising and donations. They could hire whoever they wanted immediately but the pay was barely above minimum wage. A new director came in and decided that we could get a bigger better budget if we went to the state system. The majority of funds were paid from the property tax base (which is voted on annually) and the rest was funded by the state. That meant that the clerks got great pay but also became part of the civil service system (unions), but you have to be on the competitive county & state list to get hired. This year, the library set its budget and it went for its annual vote and the people voted it down. NY state is being taxed left and right and people were just fed up.
  • 06-25-2010 3:53 PM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 07-23-2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

I'm speaking from the other side of the coin. Last week I was involved in the interview process for a receptionist in our dept. This is the lowest paying position in our dept with an annual salary of $28,000.00. I was surprised at some of the applicants we had that were willing to hire at that rate. Two years ago when the position was available we had very few inquiries and it took a while to fill. I felt bad for one  applicant in particular, she had been laid off 8 months ago from a $60,000.00 annual salary and begged us to hire her. She realized she was over qualified but she needed a job and wanted to get her foot in the door. She was dressed appropriately and brought reference letters with her. Had the decision been totally mine I probably would have hired her. At the other end of the spectrum we had one show up  for an interview in shorts, a Dallas Cowboy tshirt and flip flops. Needless to say she wasn't even considered. What surprised me about her was she had stopped by in person the day before and had to have noticed the entire dept was dressed in business attire. I would have thought that would have been an indication how to dress accordingly. She was in her early 20's. I wish high schools would teach a course in how to prepare for a job interview.

• 06-25-2010 5:34 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Toni B.:
    In terms of the library budget and employees?

In terms of keeping track of all the changes and who is where.

• 06-25-2010 5:38 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Lee:
    I wish high schools would teach a course in how to prepare for a job interview.

I have seen more than a few young people who believe that people should accept them as they are. It doesn't seem to sink in that they probably need the job more than the employer needs them. There also seems to be a lack of understanding for why certain attire is required and other types unacceptable.

• 06-25-2010 5:42 PM In reply to

We had 47 applicants for 1 position, 6 of whom were offered interviews; when asked if she had applied for another position in the building, 1 applicant told us she had applied to over 175 positions and honestly couldn't remember if she had applied for that particular position or not.

Three of the applicants interviewed were in-district applicants, who we are required to interview regardless of their qualifications or the qualifications of other applicants (2 whose positions had been cut, 1 teacher's aide who was trying to get a teaching job that would let her get into an alternative certification program) and had incredibly poor interviews.  One, who appeared to be about 40, had horrible interpersonal skills (which, upon closer review of her letters of reference, were apparently a problem in her previous position), another, who appeared to be about 35, had totally flat affect (no facial expression, very little voice inflection) and incredibly long answers that nonetheless contained very little information even when asked for more details (she reminded me of students answering essay questions by putting in everything that might possibly apply) - those two had job histories that implied at least 10-12 interviews each, and still had horrible interviews.  The teacher's aide, who appeared to be about 35, had interview skills that were okay, but it was pretty evident that she was not ready to make the move from aide to teacher and needed to go back to school first, instead of seeking alternative certification and going straight to the classroom.

The other three were much better.  They were personable, engaged, answered questions fully but succinctly, made appropriate eye contact, and demonstrated appropriate social skills (e.g. eye contact, good listening and turn taking, etc.).  One was 22, a newly certified teacher, one was about 25, and had been teaching for 3 years, and one was about 35 and had been teaching for 12 years (the last two were offered jobs).  It was actually the older applicants who had poorer interview skills, except for the last one.

Lee:

At the other end of the spectrum we had one show up  for an interview in shorts, a Dallas Cowboy tshirt and flip flops. Needless to say she wasn't even considered. What surprised me about her was she had stopped by in person the day before and had to have noticed the entire dept was dressed in business attire. I would have thought that would have been an indication how to dress accordingly. She was in her early 20's. I wish high schools would teach a course in how to prepare for a job interview.

I wish parents would teach their children how to dress appropriately for a wide variety of situations, as well as teaching them basic social skills, such as how to greet someone, how to get another person's attention, how to eat neatly and with the appropriate utensils, and other basic skills that are sadly lacking for many.  As a teacher, I try, as do my coworkers, but if it's not important at home or in the community, there's not much we can do to get through to them.

• 06-25-2010 5:52 PM In reply to

The people who were employed when the change was made were grandfathered in and didn't have to pass any tests to keep their jobs. The people who apply now have to pass the state exam are on a Civil Service data base and stay there for four years. Every time there is an opening, the library sends out a canvas letter to see if people who took the test are still interested in the position. I took the test when I was employed with the Dept. of Corrections which is Civil Service. Its a catch 22 - The library has access to more state funds but they have more rules and restrictions when it comes to hiring. Like my former supervisor said recently "It used to take three days to hire a new employee and now it takes three months."
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us