Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How Old Were You?

Last post Wed, Aug 4 2010 12:50 AM by Anna Marie. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:11 PM In reply to

Re: How Old Were You?

I moved out of parents home when I was 21 I bought a mobile home which was super nice for the times has a wall oven and a den. My sister eventually came to live with me and we split the bills which helped both of us. The reason I was so old moving into my own place was because I was saving money to make a big downpayment on the mobile it was fine for my 1st home today seems as if we have way to many clothes and other things to live in an older mobile home now.

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:45 PM In reply to

cindy cheapchic 25 and me the last to go is 18 when I first moved away now cindy moved back to her other parents home do to medical issues and divorce she is 4------ I didn't say your age cheap chic ?????????????

chrissanne
  • Wed, Jun 23 2010 10:51 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

mommatothree:
    I used to work at a homegoods store back then, so I saved up and got some really nice things and really had fun decorating and making the place my own. 

Did you get an employee discount?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 10:54 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I was seventeen when I moved out of my parents' house. I had married and my husband and I bought a used mobile home cash. We did some repairs and built new kitchen cabinet. The place resembled a brown and marigold cottage inside. It was home for seven years.

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 10:56 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Luvd_Lioness:
    The shower was too small for me

I am having flashbacks to a travel trailer one and sympathising deeply.

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 11:00 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

slk2042:
    But I do laugh at the memories.

Are you sure that is laughter and not hysterical shivers from the horror of it? LOL! 

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 11:24 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Eighteen, lived with married Sis, then friend's family, then married brother. Shortly after got my own apt. and lived alone for 4 years until marriage. Going back to parent's house was not an option. 

Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Tue, Jun 29 2010 9:56 AM In reply to

I was 21 years old.  DH & I had been living in my parents basement for 15 months when we got married. As soon as we both had full-time jobs, we bought a house and got out!

It was 1144 sq. ft., three bedroom, two bath, with a laundry room, full-length front porch, & small back deck.  We had a walk-in closet in the master bedroom.  I loved the house, but the neighborhood left a little to be desired.  We didn't know that when we looked at the house, but it was fine.  It was a brand new house.

The only reason we moved was because DH's parents moved to another city and we bought their house.  DH grew up in that house and couldn't imagine anyone else living there.  It took 9 months to sell our house. The house we're in now is probably twice as big as the first because it's two floors & a two car garage.  Twice as much to keep clean, heat, and cool.

I'd love to have my little house back! Looking back, we were blessed to be able to buy a house at 21 years old.  My grandparents had set up a life insurance account for me that I could cash in at 18, though my mother lied to me and said I had to be 21.  We used that money for a "first-time homeowners" down payment---3%.

I would love to be able to help DD pay on her first place.

• Tue, Jun 29 2010 11:10 AM In reply to

I was 23. I rented a studio apartment with a galley kitchen. I loved it! After awhile though, people asked "why rent when you can own" so I bought a two-bedroom, one bath condo (950 sq feet). I loved both places, and really enjoyed my independence.
    Colleen
  • Tue, Jun 29 2010 5:10 PM In reply to

I was 23, and moved out when Brian & I got married in 1993. And we moved about 35 miles from both sides of our families. The best decision we ever made!! Wink Still can't believe in about 2 months we'll celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary!!

~*~Angie~*~

Page 2 of 3 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us