Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

What Can You Tell Me About Hospice ?

Last post Sun, Jul 25 2010 2:01 AM by jayashiangel. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 9 2010 6:33 PM

What Can You Tell Me About Hospice ?

Could someone please explain what hospice does ?

No one in my family has ever used it and I really don't know too much about it.

One of my dearest friends' Mom has just been operated on for breast cancer. Her Mom is 88.

• Wed, Jun 9 2010 7:36 PM In reply to

Re: What Can You Tell Me About Hospice ?

REMEMBER, every State is different, as are patients!

GENERALLY, Hospice is "end of life" care!  Some have their own facilities, some "attend" patients either in their own homes, or Nursing Homes.  This caring and loving entity takes over in the less than 6 months of life.  This is determined by the attending physician.

Hospice provides the physical care of the patient, including pain medications that Nursing Homes cannot provide by law (in some areas), unless the patient is already a patient in The Nursing Home, and has been "turned over" to Hospice!

Their facilities are wonderful and loving for the remaining family/friends!  Sometimes, it's better than the patient's own personal home!  BUT, not necessarily better than a Nursing Home, where a long-term patient intuitively knows staff and other patients (regardless of their mental capabilities)!

Everyone must do their own research, because in some areas, there are more than just one Hospice function/entity!  The decision for placement is NOT one to be taken lightly!  It is a decision that will be borne by the one making the decision for the rest of THEIR life! 

Basically, they are all WONDERFUL!  I have never heard from a rational person any complaints!  Hospice puts the patient first and foremost! 

• Wed, Jun 9 2010 8:57 PM In reply to

• dlw
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 23 2007
    • Posts 463

We're in PA...it's a little different here. You don't have to be in the last 6 months but in the "dying process" I've known people who were on it for several years. It used to be just the last 6 months but that's changed. You can go to a Hospice facility or the hospice comes to you. My Mom had hospice but for less than a week and then she passed away. It was a short process but I thought they were very helpful.
  • Wed, Jun 9 2010 9:05 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

here hospice is for end of life.     If you need long term care there are places for that.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Jun 9 2010 10:06 PM In reply to

VNW, I am in Alabama and my mother was in hospice care we were very pleased with the services they provided and they all were very caring people. I know of quite a few who have been in hospice care and haven't heard of either a patient or a family member complain a few people said they don't know what they would have done without hospice.

• Wed, Jun 9 2010 10:22 PM In reply to

VNW, the program I knew in Texas was an in home program in which nurses visited regularly and were on call all the time. Near here in Arkansas there is a Hospice House which provides wonderful care. Here the hospice program does, I know, go into nursing homes. In all cases they provide palliative care and helpful concern to both the patient and to family members. They are familiar with the end of life happenings and ease that transition for all.  AM

• Wed, Jun 9 2010 10:24 PM In reply to

Virginia Needlewoman:
    Could someone please explain what hospice does ?

Hospice in Utah is for terminal patients with less than 6 months to live, & it requires a referral.  Note that the patient does not have to die within 6 months, but they do need to have a doctor sign off that they could.  

Different hospices offer different services, so you need to ask questions. Some do medical care only.  Some offer spiritual care & family support, & some will actually sit down with the family & say something along the lines of "Your loved one has 6 months to live.  What are the things that are important to you & to them, that you wish to be sure are done before death occurrs?"  This can be anything from writing letters to children/granchildren to handing out journals, fishing gear, etc.  In the case of one gentleman, he wanted to go to one more University of Utah football game ( lifetime fan - season ticket holder, etc.)  Hospice helped make that happen for the family.  At worst, hospice will provide the medical care for the individual who is gravely ill.  At best, it can help the family make peace with the cards they are dealt, & make the best of the time that is left.

• Fri, Jun 11 2010 8:14 AM In reply to

My father was under Hospice care for about the last 2 weeks of his life. He was diagnoised with colon cancer on November 6 and he passed away November 26. I can't say enough good things about it. They were absolutely wonderful. My mother refused to let Dad die in a hospital if there was anything she could do about it. Dad was able to pass on peacefully in his own bed. They did so much to help my mother not only in helping take care of Dad but they were there emotionally for her every step of the way.

• Fri, Jun 11 2010 9:54 AM In reply to

I agree, every state is different. There should be a social worker specifically assigned in the hospital/nursing home to discuss hospice options. Hospice is end of life care and the purpose is to make the transition as easy and painless as possible. Hospice is for terminally ill patients. Hospice will not make a person recover.  

Here, hospice can happen in hospitals, nursing homes, private hospice facilities and a person's own home. My grandfather had hospice care in the nursing home where he lived. My mom had hospice care in the hospital. My mom's best friend had hospice care at her home with aides/nurses 24 hours a day at the end. My DH grandmother was in a private hospice facility. My mom and her best friend suffered from cancer. My grandfather and DH grandmother were just in the last stages of their lives and had signed Do Not Resuscitate orders. Both had reached the end of their lives (89 and 96 respectively) and had slipped into a coma and passed after a few days/weeks. But we knew they were comfortable and in no pain.

With my mom, we discussed several options with a social worker and her doctor. We knew there were no other medical options to treat mom. No chemo or other treatment would cure her or even extend her life. A nursing facility here was able to take hospice patients as the private facilities were full. But my mom ended up not being able to be transported so we did hospice care in the hospital. She could not have made the journey to her home either. The nurses were absolutely wonderful and my mother was in no pain.

It's not an easy decision to make but one that should be thought through, prayed about and discussed with appropriate persons.

Erika
  • Sat, Jun 12 2010 3:36 PM In reply to

2 things about hospice:  it's not about curing, it's about caring.  caring about, caring for; both patient and family  second:  the nurses, social workers, aides, and others, don't work in hospice because it was the only job they could get.  they want to be there.

Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us