Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How many ways do you use baking soda?

Last post Thu, May 20 2010 10:06 PM by seaturtle. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 19 2010 4:44 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

How many ways do you use baking soda?

From the article on Dollar Stretcher, there are seven basic ways to use baking soda. While the author gives us some good ideas, there are many more ways to use it. 

I use it as toothpaste, as a facial scrub, to clean black marks from the floor and to scrub anything grungy. It's a great neutralizer if you get too much vinegar somewhere and it kills moss and fungus. 

It's a good personal deodorant as well as deodorizer for closed in spaces like refrigerators and musty, damp areas like basements. 

What else? What have you used it for, or might use it for in the future? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, May 19 2010 6:21 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Re: How many ways do you use baking soda?

Hi ... I have a few others to add ...

Fill a teapot with water, add 2 Tbs. baking soda and juice of half a lemon. Boil for 15 minutes and rinse; repeat if needed. Helps remove mineral deposits/rust stains.

Clean brushes, combs, plastic clips and bands - fill a sink with hot water, add 1/4 cup baking soda, soak for 20-30 minutes and rinse.

Sprinkle baking soda in with the cat litter box, helps to freshen and deodorize.

Add baking soda to stretch any scented, powdered carpet deodorizer product.

• Wed, May 19 2010 6:36 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

as a poultice for bug bites, chafing/chapping, sunburn, rashes---mix with corn starch for body/foot powder--use in a spray bottle with hot water to spritz surfaces for cleaning---wash interior shoes with baking soda/water and air dry to help neutralize odors--sprinkle into shoes to freshen between wearings---use as a non-abrasive scrub for cleaning purposes--mix with warm water and use as a hair rinse to make hair soft and silky
    Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Wed, May 19 2010 7:34 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I alternate baking soda and shampoo for hair washings.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, May 19 2010 8:14 PM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 1,065

Everyone has given such good suggestions. I can only reiterate. I use baking soda for a toothpaste (for quite a number of years now with fabulous results, especially coupled with floss), scouring powder when combined with 1-1 baking soda and Borax, bug bites/stings, carpet deodorizer, deodorizer for the fridge, and other musty, odoriferous areas,  and cooking.

Oh yes. When I was teaching, I used baking soda and vinegar to produce carbon dioxide gas and "blow" out a candle. I also used it to make a film canister "grenade" or "rocket." Fuji film canisters were the best. I don't know if they even make them anymore. 

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • Wed, May 19 2010 8:20 PM In reply to

1. to use on the nose and chin with salt in it and alittle water to make a paste to exfloleate the skin to get the dead kin off exflo is not spelled right...

2. use in subbing the sink and tub.

3. to clean the dish;s with stains from food works good with coffee stains.

3. great to brush the teeth with

4 deoderent for the fridge

3. get some stains out from rugs to pet areas.

• Wed, May 19 2010 11:01 PM In reply to

Besides for baking I mostly use it like one might use powdered cleanser to scrub surfaces and as a deodorizer. I have used it to brush my teeth. I once had supervisory responsibility over a battery shop where old car batteries were turned in. The batteries were put on a charger and checked to see whether they would hold a charge. If so, they were returned to the supply system.If not the acid was dumped into a pit and baking soda was poured in to neutralize it. AM

• Wed, May 19 2010 11:31 PM In reply to

scrub the bathtub.  clean the kitchen sink drains- follow with kettle of boiling water.  clean the coffee maker carafe (steel one)- fill with boiling water on top of a couple tablespoons of baking soda.

• Thu, May 20 2010 1:37 AM In reply to

I forgot to mention one of my more important uses until it came up. All too frequently I manage to burn something I'm cooking. A bit of baking soda and water simmered in the pan will lift the burned mess.  AM

• Thu, May 20 2010 7:47 AM In reply to

I love it as a body scrub.  It is wonderful on elbows, knees, ankles, hands...

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us