Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Not using deodorant

Last post Mon, Aug 9 2010 5:09 PM by 2ndGenGranola. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (39 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 14 2010 7:52 AM

• Win2868
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 14 2010
    • Posts 2

Not using deodorant

A reader sent in advice about how she never uses deodorant, instead she uses baking powder or baking soda.  I can not remember which one.  Would someone please let me know?    Thank you, Win2868

• Fri, May 14 2010 8:04 AM In reply to

Re: Not using deodorant

Baking soda.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Wed, May 19 2010 12:02 PM In reply to

Baking soda seems to work but it might irritate the skin after a while and burn. Research on the internet and find out alternatives or other combinations.
  • Sun, May 23 2010 12:33 PM In reply to

• suzin
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 24 2007
    • Posts 244

Yes, baking soda works...but another thing you can use is rubbing alcohol....I read it on a Dr's. website...forgot where....I've been using it for quite a while...he says it will kill the bugs that make the odor....I just have alcohol in a spray bottle, spray some in my hand and rub it on....

Nebraska
  • Tue, May 25 2010 12:32 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Another thing that works is vinegar. Just put a little in the palm of your hand and apply. It works instantly when you really need it and you don't smell like vinegar, either. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, May 26 2010 10:18 AM In reply to

• Jim
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 104

Wash with soap and water everyday and there'll be no need for deoderant.

• Wed, May 26 2010 12:18 PM In reply to

I wash daily with soap and water (often twice a day, since I am a fitness instructor), but between my meds (they increase oil and sweat production) and my intense activity level, I still need something. The best thing I have found for DH and I is the rock salt. It's $6, and lasts us over a year. Unf, baking soda irritates my skin after a while, or I'd probably use that.

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Sat, May 29 2010 8:08 PM In reply to

I've tried all of the above--baking soda, alcohol, vinegar, and just soap and water--and none was effective for me.  I wrote about my experiences in this thread (this post contains a summary of what I tried and the results).  I have not tried rock salt.  How do you apply it?

My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • Sat, May 29 2010 8:47 PM In reply to

We get the "deoderant salt" cube at Whole Foods in the Personal Section. We've tried several brands, and they all seem to work the same. You can get it online, too. You just wet it a bit, then slick it over your skin. It dries quickly, and neither of us have ever had any weird residue. Works great for us!

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Sat, May 29 2010 9:26 PM In reply to

Falconinburgundy:

We get the "deoderant salt" cube at Whole Foods in the Personal Section. We've tried several brands, and they all seem to work the same. You can get it online, too. You just wet it a bit, then slick it over your skin. It dries quickly, and neither of us have ever had any weird residue. Works great for us!

If this is the same thing as those "crystal" deodorants, I've tried that too and had no luck with it.
    My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 4 (39 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us