Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How do you use solar power?

Last post Mon, May 24 2010 8:49 PM by sissy. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 13 2010 2:20 AM

How do you use solar power?

It has been established that some are using solar ovens and more of us are about learning to do so. Many of us are careful to open curtains of sunny windows in winter to collect a bit of warmth. Many of us are using natural sunlight to grow our gardens. Some probably have greenhouses. I have, in short-term situations, warmed water in a dark container to use either to wash dishes or to shower. We have solar-powered lighting in our front yard. Do you use or desire to use solar power in other ways? AM
  • Thu, May 13 2010 6:53 AM In reply to

Re: How do you use solar power?

Good morning, A.M.

I don't use any type of solar power because where I live in the North East there are few days with sunshine. Plus, my apartment is on the north-east corner of the building and gets very little sunlight. I have to turn lights on most days to see properly.

It would be nice to hang clothes on a line, or be able to start seeds on a windowsill, though.

bw

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Thu, May 13 2010 8:11 AM In reply to

• Zeus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, May 7 2009
    • NE Connecticut
    • Posts 271

I love the idea of going solar, but the whole home thing is prohibitive in price I think. Besides wanting to now learn how to solar cook, I think I would like a solar powered attic fan to keep the roof cool and prolong it's life, and maybe keep the house cooler in the hot summer months.

• Thu, May 13 2010 8:14 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Making sun tea is solar. I have a green house and we have a solar light on the porch. I would like to do more.

Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Thu, May 13 2010 11:22 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I do or have done what the other posters mentioned: Make sun tea, dry and sanitize clothes in the sun, heat water, open curtains to help warm the house. The first experience I had with solar power was when I decided to experiment, having read just a little about it. I had an old glass percolator and I painted a one pound metal coffee can (remember those?)with black chalkboard paint, since that's what I had on hand. I filled the coffee can with cold water, put on the lid and set it in the percolator in the sun. If I remember right, there was snow on the ground. When I went back a few hours later, the water was hot enough to wash dishes, although there wasn't enough for that. That convinced me. 

Besides those things, I've left dingy whites on the clothesline for a few days to let the sun bleach them and of course, the sun grows part of my food. I dehydrate food in my car parked in the sun for heat. In the winter, if I have to go anywhere in the morning, I park the car at night so that it gets the sun early. That way, the engine and the interior are warm and I can just get in and go.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, May 13 2010 11:39 AM In reply to

I also have done some of the things already posted. The front of my house faces south so in the winter I make sure to open all the curtains on the front to help warm up the house.  I hang clothes on the line and use my drying rack on the side deck which gets a lot of sun.  I also use the sun to grow part of our food and herbs.  We need to replace our attic fan soon and we will be purchasing a solar powered one.  We have also used solar power to heat water for dish washing and bathing when we go camping. 

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Thu, May 13 2010 12:07 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

of course we have a garden and I too make sun tea , I have used a solar oven doesnt seem to work that well  

we do us wind power .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, May 13 2010 12:17 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I didn't mention the solar oven! I have a solar powered calculator and I want a solar battery charger, among other things. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sun, May 23 2010 3:44 PM In reply to

If I used a solar oven, the local stray cats or the stray tenants would scavenge the food!

I have the solar battery charger, flashlights, and a too-weak phone charger.  Now that the Chinese are marketing a 20,000mA battery charger for $159 (so Treehugger says), I crave it for the laptops and to recharge my battery-operated tools.  Of course, the real dream panel would run a small fridge or icemaker and a room AC, combined with a windmill.  Also noticed:  a FLAP handbag, being sent to third-world countries, which charges while you carry it, and then provides light at night.  

• Sun, May 23 2010 8:42 PM In reply to

We use solar panels never tried the solar tubes yet trying to get my sister to use a solar oven.

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us