Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Do you have a financial notebook?

Last post Tue, Jun 8 2010 5:54 AM by Luvd_Lioness. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 12 2010 11:29 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Do you have a financial notebook?

This article about making and keeping a "Financial Notebook" makes some very good points. My records are not very comprehensive and I need to work on getting them all together. What about you?

A writer made a very good point, too. He said NOT to keep these records on your computer because it "leaves a digital footprint and could be found by others." Also (and this is just me) there's the chance they could be lost to you in case of a computer failure unless you back up the file every time you update your records. 

Anyway, some things to think about: 

Do you keep a financial notebook the way he explains it?
    Do you keep it on your computer?
    If not, how do you keep track of things like this?
    Any tips or ideas to share about how to do it?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, May 12 2010 2:19 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Do you have a financial notebook?

Pat - I could not get the link to work. To answer your question yes we do and the information is not on our computer. Its actually several binders that we could grab and go if we needed to vacate. I will have come back and let you know how we do it later.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Wed, May 12 2010 2:30 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Thanks.. I fixed the link (although I don't know why it didn't work in the first place). 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Wed, May 12 2010 3:49 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Our system is similar to what the author is talking about. We have several binders going with information that isn't necessarily "financial" but without them, we could hit a glitch. We have one binder exclusively for all our home/car/life insurance policies. Another binder that relates to the House - major repairs on an excel spreadsheet plus contracts and information about the repairs, circuit breaker & electric wiring diagrams etc. One for the cars - set up the same as the house. Another binder exclusively for the VA. One binder for Deferred Comp and Retirement information. One for taxes. We customized our own phone book. And last but not least the infamous Budget Book that has everything we need to pay and track bills. All our legal documents are in a fireproof safe or at our attorney's office. These do require regular maintenance to keep current.
  • Wed, May 12 2010 3:54 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Toni B.:
    major repairs on an excel spreadsheet plus contracts and information about the repairs

On the computer? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Wed, May 12 2010 4:47 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

No - not exactly. I created a blank excel document and we fill in the information by hand. Date - Name of Contractor - Work Done - Cost - Special Notes. We keep a copy of the contract in the book as well.
  • Wed, May 12 2010 5:09 PM In reply to

We have this information in files, but I think I'll make a binder, maybe with some pages just referring to what is where. It would serve as a tool to help me find things. AM
  • Fri, May 14 2010 11:32 AM In reply to

• Walt34
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 17 2007
    • WV eastern panhandle
    • Posts 1,406

I also got no response from the link.

We do keep most of our day-to-day financials on the computer, but in encrypted files and backed up to an external hard drive that I can just grab and carry out with me. Being a former computer forensic examiner and fraud investigator I am well aware of what can be found on a computer. Done right, the risks are minimal to non-existent. And if someone wants my information bad enough to spend a week running a distributed network attack on the passwords they'll be disappointed in what little they find. No account numbers, no institutional names, just dollar amounts.

And if the data did become unrecoverable from the computer it would take at most two days to rebuild from paper sources. Our life isn't that complicated.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Money Management
  • Fri, May 14 2010 12:00 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Walt34:
    I also got no response from the link.

Copy and paste this: http://www.stretcher.com/stories/10/10may10b.cfm

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Sat, May 15 2010 9:35 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

We have a Legacy File: http://www.daveramsey.com/article/legacy-drawer-is-your-family-prepared/lifeandmoney_relationshipsandmoney/
    Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us