Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Drying Herbs

Last post 04-18-2014 12:02 AM by zohnerfarms. 45 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-09-2010 10:31 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Drying Herbs

What method do you use to dry your herbs or do you simply freeze for cooking?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 05-09-2010 11:10 AM In reply to

Re: Drying Herbs

I've seen them being dried by just hanging them in the attic. I've also heard that you can dry them in a microwave oven or using a dehydrator.

• 05-09-2010 12:46 PM In reply to

This is from someone who's just learning.

I didn't want to invest in a dehydrator, so I dried basil, thyme, parsley, dill and celery greens (individually, of course) on a cookie sheet in my electric oven on the on/off cycle. It took at least several hours.

I let it sit overnight then tested it to see if it was nice and crumbly. Once it was all totally dry, I packed it in spice containers I had saved.

It worked beautifully!

And home dried herbs really do taste better! I especially look forward to doing thyme again.

So, very, very cheap. No special equipment and I got a product I use.

Big Smile

bw

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 05-09-2010 12:54 PM In reply to

I dry parsley, rosemary & dill in the dehydrator on the herb setting ( which is very low heat).  Works great & takes about 6 hours for the parsley & 10-12 or overnight for the ones with stems.

• 05-09-2010 2:51 PM In reply to

I often use the dehydrator simply because I haven't arranged a good place to hang them to dry. I do freeze also. AM
  • 05-09-2010 2:55 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I dry all my herbs I can it been that way for years

I love grow my own herbs

they are doing vey well these year   

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 05-10-2010 9:53 AM In reply to

• Zeus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-07-2009
    • NE Connecticut
    • Posts 271

Well, I dehydrated a lot of fruit, vegs, lemon peels, etc under my wood stove this past winter with successful results. I also plan on trying out the car as my new mode of dehydration as temps warm up.   However, I think I'll pull out the dehydrator for the garlic, onions, etc. It would be a bad thing if my car smelled like an onion factory. Stick out tongue

• 05-13-2010 11:09 PM In reply to

gayla50:
    they are doing vey well these year   

Today I looked at the parsley as I passed the flower bed with a handful of weeds, & it is starting to go to seed already - - in early May!

I need to cut it & dehydrate it while I can - quickly. Wink

• 05-14-2010 12:34 AM In reply to

zohnerfarms:
    Today I looked at the parsley as I passed the flower bed with a handful of weeds, & it is starting to go to seed already - - in early May!
    Be sure to let some of it go to seed and you'll soon have a new crop. AM
  • 05-14-2010 9:45 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

zohnerfarms:
    oday I looked at the parsley as I passed the flower bed with a handful of weeds, & it is starting to go to seed already

Wow, mine is just starting to come up. I have them in my faux barrel planter in the front yard.

People keep asking me what flowers I have out there...oh some onion, parsley and a sprinkling of wildflowers. I get some odd looks. They work with a historical reproduction house where I am trying to achieve an old country look. Hehe.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 5 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us