Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal Living is Teamwork

Last post Tue, May 4 2010 8:17 PM by Brandy. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 2 2010 9:12 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Frugal Living is Teamwork

• Sun, May 2 2010 10:12 PM In reply to

Re: Frugal Living is Teamwork

Well, it certainly is easier to be frugal when all concerned are working together. It's easier too, when you keep company with others who share that aspect of your lifestyle, whether by necessity or by choice. The true delight is that we have our DS friends with whom to share how to live frugally and like it. AM
  • Mon, May 3 2010 7:50 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Anna Marie:
    It's easier too, when you keep company with others who share that aspect of your lifestyle, whether by necessity or by choice

I have certainly found it easier.

It's one of the things I deeply miss since moving here. I have relied more and more on everyone here to keep me feeling positive about our choices.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, May 3 2010 4:09 PM In reply to

And it would help if the other 1/2 of my team was working with me.  He is trying, bless him.

• Mon, May 3 2010 6:02 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

When I first got started on my frugal kick, I incorporated a couple of ideas at a time until they became habits. At first DH thought I was being a little too strict but NOW he sees the evidence in the checkbook when we are able transfer leftover monies to build up our savings safety net. Sometimes it takes a little time to see the results but patience pays off.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Mon, May 3 2010 8:39 PM In reply to

Toni, How did you get him on board I have been trying for years it takes 2 not just one to be on board. I have tried telling dh is we can save this much on this we can buy extra things and add to a small savings. He is the type who wants to live paycheck to paycheck doesn't he realize there will come at some time in his life he will not be able to work and have that paycheck rolling in. That is the main problem we have but my patience with this problem is about to the max.

• Tue, May 4 2010 10:40 AM In reply to

Linda---I can share what is working for me.  I have resigned myself to the fact that DH will not be frugal until he HAS to---he has said just that to me.  I would rather be more frugal now so that if we HAVE to, it won't be a big deal. I just keep on keeping on, sharing with him the bigger cc payments I'm able to make each month & posting our debt progress each month on the fridge.

I know he will cut back if he HAS to, but right now he doesn't HAVE to, so "if it is to be, it's up to me"!

• Tue, May 4 2010 11:12 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Linda Cecil:
    He is the type who wants to live paycheck to paycheck doesn't he realize there will come at some time in his life he will not be able to work and have that paycheck rolling in.
    My ex husband and my husbands ex wife were both the same way. The reason DH & I are so compatible is that we share the same philosophy and goals. Most people don't really know how the other person will be with money until they tie the knot.
    Linda Cecil:
     Toni, How did you get him on board I have been trying for years it takes 2 not just one to be on board.
    DH had the long term big picture down about saving. His big thing was not incurring large debt and planning for retirement. When I unofficially retired in 2007 I felt the strong need to make up for not bringing in a paycheck because I've always worked. To make up for it, I went on a campaign to tighten our budget. DH never realized HOW MUCH we could cut costs by doing little things that have made a big difference. We are now painlessly living WAY BELOW our means and setting aside several hundred dollars a month for future projects and emergencies. Our ex's would never have tried any of the things that we do.
    Linda Cecil:
    That is the main problem we have but my patience with this problem is about to the max.
    I'm speaking in general terms here but some people are too comfortable living payday to payday and if there is $25 or $250 left over, its considered "Fun money" to be spent. The will inevitably spend that money before they even get a chance to see it add up in an account. Maybe its because they don't like to feel deprived or be told NO. Or maybe they see others getting what they want and feel the need to keep up with the Joneses. Another reason is that they may have never experienced or known someone who has hit really tough times so they don't make the connection that it could happen to them. They tend to "tune out" those they are in a relationship with so sometimes it takes an "outsider" (Dave Ramsey type) to show them where they can do better. Don't know if any of this makes sense or applies to your situation. Just relaying my experience.
  • Tue, May 4 2010 4:49 PM In reply to

Toni, Oh you are so right he thinks he has to have everything everybody else has, me as long as I am comfortable with what I have I'am ok but we could be much better financially if he would get on board with me an example in 2008 he wanted to get a new Silverado fine then here he comes with I'am buying a Harley asked me what I thought and I told him a new truck was enough note to toat sure he will ask my oponion sometimes but go on and do as he pleases.

• Tue, May 4 2010 6:24 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Linda Cecil:
    sure he will ask my oponion sometimes but go on and do as he pleases.
    DH and I made an agreement to consult each other before making any large purchase or commitment over $250. It works for us but that can be turned around very easily. The down side is that if you and your DH tried this, he will never say NO to you so he can justify never hearing NO himself. I can't help thinking about our Financial Stretchpert Walt and what kind of conversation Walt would have with your DH. Sometimes it takes a no-nonsense outsider to get them to listen.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us