Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Early Christmas Shopping

Last post Sat, Nov 27 2010 2:22 AM by zohnerfarms. 121 replies.
Page 1 of 13 (122 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 10:33 AM

Early Christmas Shopping

I go to a neighboring town, about 23 mi. away to shop at Sams club occasionally. If you happen to be there at the right time, they have some pretty good sales. Last week I happened upon some really nice shirts that were discounted, and got them for gifts. I also stuff a lot of stockings for family members, so I have already got a few things for them.It also helps to have a "stash" of things ready for last minute gifts.I  have let my supply get low, so I need to replinish whenever I find some good deals.Do any of you do this? Now I just need to find a place to store stuff, does my DH really need all that computer stuff in the den?, lol!

Donna

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 12:59 PM In reply to

Re: Early Christmas Shopping

donna england:
    Do any of you do this?

You betcha!  I try to spread Christmas shopping over the entire year, not only for the sake of the budget, but also to reduce stress around the holiday.  The season is much more pleasant & enjoyable when the shopping is already done. I have oldest DD's "trio" done: the December anniversary present, the Jan bd present & the Christmas present, & I am working on a couple of others.  I used some of the holiday bonus gift card to shop online during the after Christmas sales with free shipping.

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 5:13 PM In reply to

zohnerfarms:

donna england:
    Do any of you do this?

You betcha!  I try to spread Christmas shopping over the entire year, not only for the sake of the budget, but also to reduce stress around the holiday.  The season is much more pleasant & enjoyable when the shopping is already done.

Same here I typically start Christmas shopping in July but get an idea right after Christmas and start shopping then. Next Christmas when I do my bags I plan to give out canisters filled with something in some cases cocoa mix in others candy and still others bathsalts for about 40 people. I bought most of the canisters right after Christmas when they were 50-90% off but have kept my eyes open for them cause I need more, when I was garage saleing last weekend I found a couple more for $.25-$.50. I also keep an eye open for gifts that I know people will love one next door neighbor loves gardening and windchimes right after ChristmasI found a nice set of pine tree glass wind chimes for $.25 which is stashed away. Going year round is the best way to get the best deals.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 8:35 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Yard sales are my favorite Christmas shopping "store" Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 9:01 PM In reply to

Typically, I'd shop year round for gifts, but I am a bit behind this year.  I had to raid the gift stash a few times over the past few weeks with last minute birthday party invitations, so it's time to build up the stock again.

While I haven't bought too many gifts this year, I have jotted down a few ideas, inspired by DD12.

1. A "T-shirt Transformer" craft kit (tie-dye materials and iron-on transfers) for $0.50; I will then add an inexpensive shirt, maybe a pack of fabric paints
    2. Spin off from the T-shirt gift - a plain tote bag and fabric paints
    3. Inexpensive wallet and an initial key ring
    4. Personalized necklace organizer (scrap wood from Dad's workshop, painting and embellishing by DD, and a few hooks screwed in for hanging necklaces) -  DD made one for a friend last week and it was so well received that she's decided to make a few more for other friends' birthdays. I'll make some for a few of the girls on my Christmas gift list
    5. Gender neutral games like Uno, Scrabble Blast etc
    6. Inexpensive journal, novelty pen
    7. Novelty socks and swim caps for DD's team mates

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 9:16 PM In reply to

Right now all I have are some things for Toys for Tots & a set of puzzles that I'll probably split between DD & my nieces. I usually get the nieces & nephews clothes starting in August. I'm thinking about doing gift cards to places where they like to buy clothes since they are getting older & picky about their clothes. Some of the nieces are still too young to care, so I'll get their clothes early this year. I keep a big plastic bin in our garage that holds the gifts throughout the year.
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 10:55 PM In reply to

I bought some jewelry at Claire's for 80% off.  With 6 girls, I should have bought stock in Claire's. I bought one game. I am thinking of buying Avetar for my 13 yo dd, I think it is $15, I don't think it will get any cheaper.  Her birthday is in August, might buy for that. She is a sweetie.

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 11:58 PM In reply to

I keep my feelers out for gift items year round. Shopping under pressure is no fun for me. I'd much rather get items that I think suit the recipient rather than the typical stuff that gets purchased at outrageous prices, given, then given away. AM
  • Wed, Apr 28 2010 7:07 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I have brought a lot of winter clothes that been deep discounts ...

I was able to get Hats and gloves for next to nothing. 

right after Christmas I got several bath sets and perfume sets .

I have all that but up in my gift box .... working on a couple of hand made gifts ....  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, May 2 2010 10:53 AM In reply to

Last week,  I stumbled upon some cute patchwork fabric shoulder bags that would make a great gift idea for 'tween and teen girls at $5 each!    It's a nice sized bag too - the kind of bag that my DD12 would use as an occasional backpack substitute on the days when she doesn't have to tote a lot of stuff to school.   I bought just one, but I'm thinking of going back to the store tomorrow to pick up at least 2 more for the gift stash.

There are lots of jewelry loving girls (ages 12 to 18) on my gift list.    I got a cute earring and bracelet set for $3.00 (on sale), to which I will add an inexpensive top . However, I prefer to go to my favorite local silver store and pick up inexpensive sterling silver jewelry.  Appropriately sized hoop earrings or bracelets are always well received.   I find the silver to be better value for money - typically, it's no more expensive that the costume jewelry but it lasts a whole lot longer.

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
Page 1 of 13 (122 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us