Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

What wildflowers do you see?

Last post Sun, Jun 17 2012 4:25 PM by babs. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 24 2010 4:28 PM

What wildflowers do you see?

As I was driving home from town this morning I noticed the baptisia or fall indigo are blooming their lovely showy blue. also the puccoons are dotting the landscape in deep orangey yellows. AM
  • Sun, Apr 25 2010 11:38 PM In reply to

Re: What wildflowers do you see?

indian paint brush, poppies orange color and a yellow.now and then finally see the small redones then lots of grape seed lillies and blue bells we got many here in washington but the best ones are alittle off the road in the woods where the road crew did not harm that part of the woods there is more wild flowers in that.

Oh by the way hi there ann merie.

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 10:24 PM In reply to

• Zeus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, May 7 2009
    • NE Connecticut
    • Posts 271

You folks sound good!! I'm not that adept at identifying lots of flowers that I see in a wild setting. Something to strive for in the future I guess. I do get a bit better every year though with ID'ing plants and flowers. Maybe it's because I'm a transplant and not a native New Englander.

• Wed, Apr 28 2010 12:08 AM In reply to

Zeus, if identifying them interests you, get a book or two and learn as you go. Also, there may be plant walks in your area you could join. In some states there is a Master Naturalist program you might want to join. Also, I think most states have native plant societies. *** Cindy, I don't think I've seen Indian paintbrushes since I left Texas. *** In my walk today I found a dewberry plant, the first I've seen on our place. I'll be glad for it to grow and spread. As I was picking dandelion greens for salad, I saw that the ox-eye daisies have begun to bloom so I picked those flowers for the salad too. AM
  • Wed, Apr 28 2010 1:45 AM In reply to

Earlier I saw daffodils. They were grown here for sale to other parts of the USA. They grow wild where people planted them years ago.

Buttercups, dandelions, and wild violets are blooming in my yard.

• Wed, Apr 28 2010 8:16 PM In reply to

zeuse go to the libray and get your states wild flower book that how I had to learn the hard way took me away but its kinda fun you know what a dandeylion is that yellow annoying floer that grows on good lawn well you got already one flower done thats how its done go from there.

• Thu, Apr 29 2010 6:46 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

daffodils, daylilies . and some wild violet  are taking over the front yard and dandelions are every where .. and somehow we have alot of Johnson grass  the boys need to get rid of that .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Fri, May 7 2010 11:38 PM In reply to

The ox-eye daisies are blooming as well as the Queen Anne's Lace. AM
  • Sat, May 8 2010 3:05 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

The daisies here are only a few inches tall! but the prairie violets are blooming, the little wild johnny jump-ups are blooming like crazy, and of course, dandelions. They're huge this year! I haven't been able to get out and look closely so there may be others blooming now. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Fri, Oct 8 2010 1:21 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Now, we have wild asters blooming, they are a lavender color. Very pretty. Also , the milkweed pods are opening. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us