Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Storing Vegetables

Last post Sun, Apr 18 2010 9:29 AM by Brandy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 17 2010 7:59 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Storing Vegetables

Where do you store your potatoes and onions?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Apr 17 2010 11:46 AM In reply to

Re: Storing Vegetables

My potatoes are kept in the bag until I need to open the bag to retrieve them (usually a day or 2 after I buy them, b/c we eat potatoes frequently in a variety of forms).  When I do this, I sort through them to see how many icky ones I have -- usually they have gashes from the harvesting or a bad bruise; occassionally I get one that is moldy -- and those are separated so I can use them up quickly -- usually as mashed potatoes.  The rest are put into a reusable grocery bag (a black one) and stored on an open shelf under my microwave.

We don't use onions up quickly enough so I have stopped buying them in the 2-3 lb bags.  I just buy 2-3 at a time and keep them in a bowl on my counter.  I keep dehydrated onion bits in with the spices and use those in soups instead of fresh onion or I'll rehydrate them and use them in meatloaf or something similar.  A lot recipes will call for a whole onion, but I only use 1/2, so the other half is chopped up and stored in the fridge for a few days until I need another half.  If the onion is really large, I'll use 1/3 or 1/4 of it.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sat, Apr 17 2010 12:49 PM In reply to

My onions are stored in the kitchen . I use them up fairly quickly.

I quit buying potatoes because I'd forget them and they woould sprout and rot whether they were in the kitchen or in the pantry.

I rely heavily on mashed potato mixes for mashed potatoes. For cooking (bread or soup), I buy the big things of instant mashed potatoes in the store brand. It saves me time from peeling the potatoes plus I quit having the smell of rotting potatoes spread all over the downstairs. I make a pureed potato leek soup and using the instant potatoes saves me several steps of preparation.

• Sat, Apr 17 2010 5:00 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

If I have a lot of onions, I chop them and freeze. They can be used in soups, meatloaf. I have a small cabinet with the screen front that I store potatoes. I take them out of the bags so the air can reach them. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sun, Apr 18 2010 9:29 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I have several Angel Food produce boxes stacked in my kitchen to hold food. One has potatoes and onions in them. 

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us