Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Wringing a chicken's neck

Last post Mon, Sep 24 2007 11:40 AM by My Family's Interests. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 23 2007 10:16 PM

Wringing a chicken's neck

Imagine how much pain you would feel if some criminal cameup to you & wrung yur neck off!  When they do that to chickens, very often the body still moves as the brain has not turned off all of its mechanism -- that requires a knife to remove the head.

Contrast the humanity of making one clean cut with a very, very sharp knife fromthe jugular vein to the carotid artery, as is Kosher.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sun, Sep 23 2007 10:36 PM In reply to

Re: Wringing a chicken's neck

Well I didn't say the way meat got to my table is humane!  I do believe in a painless death for the animals.  On the weird note of beheading chickens..from a Ripley's believe it or not book from the library I took out recently.  A headless chicken that lived (survived its beheading)  in the 40's. It had a picture and everything. http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/story.html

My Family's Interests
  • Sun, Sep 23 2007 10:42 PM In reply to

May I ask what brought this subject to our attention?  Miss Paula in Texas

• Sun, Sep 23 2007 10:48 PM In reply to

We are kinda being silly. It started in the you know you are frugal when... posts. Someone wrote about sourcing organic chicken etc and needing the feet to make her chicken stock jelly and how she had a hard time getting them.  Here in Vancouver with the large Asian culture it is easy to get them since they eat chicken feet all the time.

My Family's Interests
  • Sun, Sep 23 2007 10:50 PM In reply to

I'm sorry that i offended yoou (or anyone else).  It was just a good opportunity to explain Kosher-ness,

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sun, Sep 23 2007 10:53 PM In reply to

Thanks for the info!  As a woman who has butchered her own chickens, I prefer the "off-with-their-heads" method, using a very sharp small axe, but I well remember my mother and grandmother wringing necks.  Miss Paula in Texas

• Sun, Sep 23 2007 10:55 PM In reply to

Sweet Deb, you didn't offend me--I'm not that thin-skinned!  HA!  Just wondered what brought the subject of wringing chickens' necks to our attention--sort of an "inquiring minds want to know"--ha!

• Sun, Sep 23 2007 10:56 PM In reply to

I am not offended :) I think it is good then you know if you buy kosher or halal you know it was a humane kill. Its like that saying " If you saw how things are cooked/run in most restaurants you wouldn't eat there", the same goes for other food industries.

My Family's Interests
  • Mon, Sep 24 2007 10:38 AM In reply to

Topic caught my attention!! Big Smile 

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Mon, Sep 24 2007 11:27 AM In reply to

Dear Martha & MimiPaula, There is nothing I dread more than "lashon hora," evil speech, part of which is defined as rebuking a person in public.  I am so glad to see that I hadn't hurt either of you!  Thanks for your understanding.

Luvd_Lioness, Glad that you found this topic to be of interest!

Yours in thrift, Deborah

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us