Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal Wedding without it looking cheap!

Last post 02-18-2013 4:36 PM by budgetwise. 45 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2010 12:57 PM

Idea [I] Frugal Wedding without it looking cheap!

Right now I am in the process of appealing my latest denial on Social Security/Disability... and therefore am going to be moving down to Milwaukee (otherside of the state) and have set a date for when my fiance (ring to make it 'official' will be paid off in August) and I will marry... 1/1/11.  Here are some of the ideas that I like and would appreciate any feedback/suggestions!!!

I've gone through the archives and didn't really find much that would apply to me.

• there will be ~60 people invited
    • the church is arranged (his)
    • a singer also (Pastor's daughter)
    • the colors and my attendants chosen (earthy tones, so they can choose a dress that can be worn later)
    • some food: bbq (buns), noodle salad of some sort, veggie and cheese trays
    • thinking we should fit in the church itself, no sit down tables but not worried about that now... just don't want to spend on a hall
    • "flower girl" won't be dropping roses or such ... dried leaves collected in the fall
    • Wedding dress: I want a true wedding dress (I didn't have one in my first wedding, which was at a courthouse). Not working right now and will have massive debt load when I am moved so not a lot of $ to spend.
    • We both agree that we don't want to skimp on the photography and cake. Still not sure on costs of those, cake might be done by a friend's daughter, so it would be cheaper.

Thanks in advance!!! Smile

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 03-30-2010 1:09 PM In reply to

Re: Frugal Wedding without it looking cheap!

This summer, check out yard sales, thrift shops, resell stores for wedding dress. Should be able to find one cheap. Do you have someone that can alter if it doesnt fit? DIL found oneon ebay then one for $25 at thrift store. Seamstress took the two and made a beautiful dress that fit. First one was too tight in the sides and bust. Came out nice for not a lot of money.

She did silk flowers for teh petals. Maybe find at sales too. Basket can be spray painted to match colors for flower girl.  She bought a little food each month from her food stamps...things like pasta that would keep.....pasta dishes for reception are cheap. Ask his church members to help with food like a potluck...could be nice way to get to know people there. Their colors were a teal blue.....punch was blue raspberry kool aid with gingerale. 

Babs 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 03-30-2010 1:28 PM In reply to

When I got married my maid of honor got a dress at Laura Ashley so that she could wear it again. I got married in early June.

• 03-30-2010 1:34 PM In reply to

Luvd_Lioness:
    "flower girl" won't be dropping roses or such ... dried leaves collected in the fall

Luvd_Lioness:
    the colors and my attendants chosen (earthy tones, so they can choose a dress that can be worn later)

I have been to a fall wedding where the punch bowl held apple juice and the cake was gingerbread - & it was both lovely & delicious.  A fall door wreath laid on the punch table with the punch bowl inside looks very nice, doesn't cost a lot & can adorn the front door after!

• 03-30-2010 1:56 PM In reply to

Virginia Needlewoman:

When I got married my maid of honor got a dress at Laura Ashley so that she could wear it again. I got married in early June.

IMHO...It's always a good idea to choose bridesmaids or maid of honor dresses that the girls can wear again. A better suggestion might be buying used, on ebay, craig's list, or as mentioned, in a thrift store or yard sale. 

• 03-30-2010 2:18 PM In reply to

bnfrugal:

Virginia Needlewoman:

IMHO...It's always a good idea to choose bridesmaids or maid of honor dresses that the girls can wear again. A better suggestion might be buying used, on ebay, craig's list, or as mentioned, in a thrift store or yard sale. 

bnfrugal, I don't believe that VNW was suggesting going to buy a Laura Ashley as it may be frugal.  I believe her idea was to have the bridesmaid fitted with something they can wear again.  Wherever it comes from.  Her bridesmaid happen to choose a Laura Ashley.

Personally, I like the idea of a potluck reception.  You can find nice serving pieces at thrift stores/garage sales/etc (the usual suspects), and take their food, and put them on the "like new" serving pieces.  If not that, maybe some family friends would allow you to borrow their pieces?

I am praying for a wonderful wedding for you and your fiance'.

• 03-30-2010 2:41 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

potluck and keep it simple .. my DD and her husband had a wedding about that time year the church still had Christmas decorations up and it was lovely

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 03-30-2010 3:27 PM In reply to

Not working right now and will have massive debt load when I am moved so not a lot of $ to spend.We both agree that we don't want to skimp on the photography and cake.

Do you have a plan in place of how much you are willing to spend and where the money is coming from?  You have competing statements here that could very well keep you from enjoying a financial free life and a marriage free from money aruguments, which is the number one cause for divorice.

Have the both of you sat down and written out a detailed monthly budget and agreed how you are going to be spending money once you are married?

Hard questionsI know.  But ones that need to be asked .... and answered.

I am a Personal Financial Coach helping individuals across the country save money, get out of debt, and live financially free without selling insurance, investments, or fancy software. Just plain 'ole common sense principles that work.
  • 03-30-2010 7:42 PM In reply to

JC Penny's outlets have great wedding dressed at low prices.  David's Bridal also has some big sales.  Go to their websites and sign up for info on sales, etc.

Not having tables is fine, though it would be good to have at least as many available chairs as you have guests.  Also, if people are going to be standing/holding plates on their laps, consider how easy/messy the food will be--if the bbq is shredded and the buns are small (like sliders). Also, if there is a way to have a few card tables with inexpensive cloth on them, that could help as far as people having a place to sit their beverage down while they eat.

Many grocery stores in my area have very nice bakeries who can do wedding cakes in nearly any style.  Also, a small wedding cake for you to cut can be supplemented with sheet cakes, or, if it is cheaper and you like the idea, cupcakes are very much in fashion right now.... though they might be more expensive. 

• 03-30-2010 9:31 PM In reply to

You can check out Freecycle if it's in your area.

Is there a friend who might do the photography for you?

Page 1 of 5 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us