Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Do you do edible landscaping?

Last post 08-30-2013 6:40 PM by haverwench. 45 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-28-2010 7:02 PM

Do you do edible landscaping?

I love to enjoy eating what comes from my yard as well as from my veggie garden. Currently we're enjoying daylily shoots and those "weeds," the dandelions. Another of our edible weeds which I'll be picking this week is curly dock. I expect that the redbuds will bloom net week and we'll add some of those blooms to our meals. Most of my herbs are incorporated into my front landscaping beds. My approach is a cross between gardening and foraging, but it all happens in my yard. Do you eat from your yard? AM
  • 03-28-2010 7:25 PM In reply to

Re: Do you do edible landscaping?

Sure, most of my driveway yard is my pie/jam gardens where I grow strawberries, blueberries, rhubarb and elderberries. In my back yard my trellis is where I grow my roses I also have my peas growing using the trellis for support. As soon as winter actually ends up here my lilac bush should be putting out tons blossoms as well. This summer if I can get ds#1 to move his car I'm thinking of trying a 3 sisters garden in the back yard to see how that works. If the weather holds out this week I'm going to try and work on cutting back the dead stuff and tying my grape vines to the arbor and I have to put fertilizer spikes in the ground near each of my trees (peach, sour cherry, apple, pear & almond) all this on less than a 1/4 acer of land.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • 03-28-2010 8:42 PM In reply to

I wasn't actually thinking of that, but yes I do. I have strawberries that grow in my yard that I have never planted, but they are very hearty and try to choke out everything else I plant. I also have a huge blackberry bush growing beside my garage that I never planted, but I suspect it was in with a flower I planted from a nursery here. I did plant raspberries as a border behind my garage to deter my neighbors from walking through my garden and climbing my fence, but also because I just love picking fruit in my yard.
  • 03-28-2010 10:47 PM In reply to

• Zeus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-07-2009
    • NE Connecticut
    • Posts 271

Oh, yes. I love the edible landscape concept. I think it's wonderful.I have like 8 Hinnomaki gooseberry bushes trailing down a brick wall. I love the way that looks. The red currants are also a show stopper in mid-summer. And then there are the fruit trees, etc. This summer I plan on adding some young black walnut trees and maybe an almond tree that's hardy up here. With the price of nuts, this really makes sense to me. Then I could really make my own almond milk on a regular basis. Smile

• 03-29-2010 10:56 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Parts of my backyard are shaded by a huge blue spruce and then I have a privacy fence in the far back and a patio, so my plantings are broken up and I've set aside areas here and there for "natural" plants (some people call them weeds). The layout has grown slowly, but it's more or less balanced and looks interesting, to me, anyway. 

I'm also eating dandelion leaves right now and watching for wild salsify. I won't eat at my daylilies yet because there are so few of them. I can't wait for the lambsquarter to start, but it will be awhile for that. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 05-12-2010 8:36 PM In reply to

Yes, I do.  All the trees in the backyard are fruit trees, & one of the 2 trees in the front yard is a Carthapian English Walnut.  I have planted red raspberries & strawberries along the back & side fencelines, along with Red Lake currant bushes & rhubarb.  Up by the house I have a rosemary bush that will likely have to be either moved or replaced - - I didn't choose the spot well.  I had planted an asparagus bed very close to one of the downspouts, but DH accidentally sprayed it last year, so that is gone (after 2 years of growth, too Sad )  I have parsley growing in amongst the bulbs under the bay window.  The grapes are on a trellis along one of the side fences.  The arbor vitae bushes that the original owner planted under the bay window were dying, so I pruned them back severely in the fall to try to save them, but it appears to have done them in.  I am considering replacing those with 2 Hinnonmaki gooseberry bushes instead.  The size is right & I think they would look nice there.  Besides, that is one of my convenient "kitchen water" beds, where I dump any leftover water.  If the red Reliance grapevine prunings I am trying to root do well, I may add a trellis with grapes to the front yard as well as the back.  My front yard gets the long hot afternoon sun, which could help ripen the grapes while the trellis shades one of the windows. Wink

• 05-12-2010 9:30 PM In reply to

research the black walnut trees, I believe that there are some things that will not grow near themj.......Also I have ahardy almond tree. It has had nuts but a lot were empty. It says that you only need one but I think two works better. I am going to plant anothr one. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 05-12-2010 9:36 PM In reply to

• Zeus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-07-2009
    • NE Connecticut
    • Posts 271

Wow, zohner, you have quite a variety yourself it sounds like.

I also forget to mention that coming up my walk way to my home are flat stones that have thyme growing in between them. It looks really nice this time of year (I'm pretty good about trying to pulling out weeds when I see them, so the thyme is nice and healthy and lush). I'll try to dry some of the herb when I get a chance soon.  

Yes, babs I've read about black walnuts and the situation that occurs. I think it's called allelopathy or something along those lines. I have 3 seedlings that I've grown and now need to find this summer permanent spots for them. I need to keep that factor in mind.

I don't have an almond tree yet. A friend placed an order for a young Hall's Hardy Almond tree & I asked to also order for me 2, but she forgot. I'll have to make that my next purchase. Is there also a pecan tree that's been developed to be hardy up North? I thought I remember reading something about that. I love nuts of all types. 

The St. Lawrence Nursery is a good place to look for fruit/nut trees. I figure if their trees and plants can grow up in Potsdam, NY ( near the Canadian border) in a zone 3 environment, they'll be just fine in my zone 5b setting here.

'

• 05-12-2010 9:50 PM In reply to

Mine is a Halls hardy almond too. It is a beautiful tree. blooms really early. Last year the frost got my blooms. Twoyears ago. lots of nuts but not a lot were good. Hoping for more this year, but do plan on getting another tree. I have also read not to plant them near peach trees. Dont know how much truth in that info. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 05-12-2010 10:06 PM In reply to

Nope. I've got the nastiest rabbits who chomp on things like herbs. My friend who planted the geraniums wouldn't let me plant super hot peppers in the planters because she said it would hurt the bunnies.Wink

If I were physically able to do it, I'd have flowers under the trees. Tulips and pansies look so pretty under trees. But with over 50 trees in my yard, I'd need a pipeline to Fort Knox to afford the flowers under the trees. I have an 8 acre yard.

Page 1 of 5 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us