Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

It's a Library Card!

Last post Wed, Mar 31 2010 4:34 PM by dolly77. 41 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (42 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 22 2010 6:01 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

It's a Library Card!

After having not been a frequent visitor to the library in years, I have a library card again. My husband's schedule isn't quite as hectic as it used to be and the local library has some hours we should be able to work with including a very long borrowing time.

I brought home only a couple of books today but have a list for when I return.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 6:29 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: It's a Library Card!

My library card (s) are the most revered cards in my wallet.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Mon, Mar 22 2010 6:48 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I use my library card at every couple of week I love our little library .  one of the greatest things to growing up here is getting your own card .. and not having to use Mommy or Grammies

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Mar 22 2010 7:00 PM In reply to

I love wandering around looking for books - and when I don't have time to do it physically, I use the library's on-line catalog; I can find what I want and have it sent to the branch nearest my house.
  • Mon, Mar 22 2010 7:05 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

karenteacher:
    I use the library's on-line catalog

I was browsing through the one here and made a list for when I g back. I  need to ask how getting books from other libraries in the parish works.There are several I need for school or would like to read but the local branch does not have them.

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 7:31 PM In reply to

One of my first acquisitions that made me know I was coming to make a life in this community was my library card. I treasure it in a way different from most. It comes from a tiny all-volunteer library where I seldom use it. The little lady who issued it to me also invited me to church, where I happened to already plan to attend. Each Sunday morning, I get to hug her and track her husband down for a hug as well. They are in their nineties. We talked about his garden this last Sunday. I don't buy books as a rule, but often have a stack to read anyway. They just come to me. AM
  • Mon, Mar 22 2010 7:35 PM In reply to

Don't forget to pick up movies and enjoy magazines as well.  YOu can usually check out last months issue of any subscription they have.

Also, sometimes they offer free classes and lectures. 

I loveeeeee my library card!

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:17 PM In reply to

• Emma
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 23 2010
    • Posts 123

Hi! I work in a library and think the library is a GREAT way to save money. I don't understand why people buy books (unless they REALLY LOVE them....like maybe the tightwad gazette!) or rent or buy videos when they are free at the library! Every time I come home, my 18 year old says "Mom, what did you bring??" Smile

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:42 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Emma:
    I don't understand why people buy books

I don't drive and could not rely on my husband to have the time to bring me to look for books and then return them when they were due. We are currently in a position to make use of the library.

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 9:15 PM In reply to

• Emma
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 23 2010
    • Posts 123

There is a program in my state called Books By Mail for people who are basically shut-in. I am not sure if you would qualify, but you could look into it. Otherwise, yes I understand in your situation, you might need to.

Page 1 of 5 (42 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us