Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Cheap and colorful baby and toddler toys...

Last post Wed, Mar 28 2012 2:34 PM by MarthaMFI. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 20 2007 12:37 AM

• Juardo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 18 2007
    • Posts 210

Cheap and colorful baby and toddler toys...

I wasn't sure where this might fit in but I thought I would share anyway. I am sure you all have noticed how pretty and bright the large plastic caps are on detergent, fabric softener and color safe bleach bottles. Too pretty to throw away honestly, so since they are too large to choke or swallow why not wash them up for baby play things? I remember when I was little, long before the pretty tops I speak of, one of my favorite things at my grannies house was a box she kept under a bed in the living room. The box was filled with all kinds of things ranging from keys on a ring, small butter tubs, toys from cereal, and many other mysterious things that were "kid safe".

• Thu, Sep 20 2007 8:27 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Cheap and colorful baby and toddler toys...

I am not sure that I would consider the tops of these products safe. I have had trouble with getting plastic food containers cleaned properly because grease would stubbornly refuse to not come off, smells from strong foods would remain. I would certainly be concerned about getting the detergents completely off the tops.

And I am not convinced that plastic is the safest thing anyway. Do note that even when I find articles like this one, Is Plastic Safe, I continue to use it in my home for lack of good and cheap alternatives. I also find these reports a bit on the extreme side but it can't hurt to be cautious.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Sep 20 2007 5:21 PM In reply to

• Juardo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 18 2007
    • Posts 210

Of course a person would have to use caution when choosing which ones to use for playthings and it is purely a judgement call on the part of the individual. However, I run mine thru my dishwasher on the long cycle, rinsing with vinegar. There is no residue left on them. I feel safe letting my grand nephews and nieces play with them. Of all the risks in the world I feel that these plastic tops are the least of my worries, but everyone must decide on their own what they feel is "safe".

• Tue, Sep 25 2007 11:34 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

My grandkids have played with them; also with the well washed bottles. The main thing I would be concerned about would be that some edges are a little rough - not good for the littlest ones. Dish soap squirt bottles make great water guns and in my more nonfrugal days, I used to give my granddaughter the three legged "tables" that came on the top of take out pizza (to hold the slices together in transit). She used them as tables for her Barbie doll.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Sep 25 2007 11:42 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

My kids liked oatmeal canisters and cereal boxes for building toys.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Sep 25 2007 11:47 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I forgot about the oatmeal canisters. There were a lot of other things they used, like pasteboard backing from new shirts or old tablets were poster board, drums from coffee cans, play houses from shoeboxes, any number of things were made with spring clothespins, buttons and rubber bands and string...  I don't know why we bothered to get toys for them!

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Sep 25 2007 10:13 PM In reply to

Plastic tubs etc are great. Not a baby toy but my almost 5 yr old is creative and loves drawing etc. crayons, scissors, tape, paper or bubble wrap and she is busy for hours!

My Family's Interests
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 2:34 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

bumping up for your ideas

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us