Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Where Do You Start?

Last post Tue, Mar 23 2010 9:59 AM by karenteacher. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 14 2010 12:45 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Where Do You Start?

When you are house cleaning, where do you start in a room?

Begin with Decluttering?

Go from the top hardest to reach areas first making your way down?

How about starting with the cleanest or dirtiest part and moving to the other?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Mar 14 2010 1:01 PM In reply to

Re: Where Do You Start?

House cleaning isn't my thing. Part of the reason is my physical limitations.

First, I check my finances.

Then I load up on garbage bags and cleaning supplies. I check for sales and coupons before I spend money for supplies.

Next I hire my cleaning woman.

I do scrape the dishes and rinse them prior to rinsing them off. I load the dishwasher. I can insert the soap and I can unload the dishwasher.

I can take out garbage bags to the garbage cans if the weather is decent.

I can take care of Aurora's litter box.

I can put stuff in the garbage bags.

I cannot take care of the floors. I shouldn't climb up on the step stool to change the filter in the ceiling on the second floor.

I can load the washer. I need to purchase the right hangers for my clothes. I need to assemble the wooden drying rack. I do remove the lint from the dryer.

To make the house smell good I either bake or I put out Vanilla Renuzit Solids that I get on sale. There is nothing like vanilla to make things smell clean and fresh.

• Sun, Mar 14 2010 1:05 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Virginia Needlewoman:
    I need to assemble the wooden drying rack.

Is it difficult? I had one several years ago and it was already assembled. 

Virginia Needlewoman:
    There is nothing like vanilla to make things smell clean and fresh.

The scent of pine does that for me.

• Sun, Mar 14 2010 1:26 PM In reply to

It's still in the box. It came while I was sick. If I'm lucky it just has to come out of the box.

I am not as much of a slob as I sound. I just don't like to ask for help. This irritates my friends who do worry about me. I drive my cleaning woman crazy because she lives in fear that I'll climb up on the stool and fall down.

• Sun, Mar 14 2010 2:54 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Huh? [:^)] Re: Where Do You Start?

I start with the bathroom, if I run out of energy before I get everything done at least that room will be clean.  

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Sun, Mar 14 2010 3:56 PM In reply to

I start by stripping the bed and putting in the washer since the kitchen is the one I hate to clean most I clean it while the bed linens are washing then wash dishes or load in the dishwasher,sweep kitchen floors then mop kitchen floor I do the kitchen 1st because I hate doing dishes and after I have the kitchen clean I feel as if half the battle is won. The hardest thing for me is the ceiling fans we have 3 and I can't reach to clean those and have to get in a chair to reach so that is one chore I don't enjoy. Since I have gotten rid of quite a bit of clutter that isn't such a problem for me still  have a few more things to get rid of it is so much easier whithout all of the clutter there are a few items I keep beacuse I wear some of the things once in a while and don't want to get rid of it. After the kitchen I do the vaccuming,clean bathtubs I use Mr.Clean magic erasers for those,clean bathroom mirrors,clean toliets. (Have a cup of coffee after finishing)

• Sun, Mar 14 2010 4:04 PM In reply to

In any room, I have to de-clutter before I do anything else, then I start with whatever looks worst. My sense is that, if I run out of steam, I will have made the most significant improvement. Floors and dusting come last just because I hate both those chores. AM
  • Sun, Mar 14 2010 4:21 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

declutter first mostly.  I clean something everyday around here.  works for me.   before kids the house and laundry was done sat morning in a couple of hours...sigh I remember those days.

declutter, for the deeper clean (not just the electric sweeper) dust and vacuum because I find sucking up all the hair etc in the bathroom makes it easier to clean.   also the bird cages get done first so any mess get vacuumed.

laundry gets done almost everyday. but I normally throw a couple of loads on sat morning. 

I put comet in the tiolet or vim and give it a scrub.   I fill the bathroom sink with cleaner and hot water and work from there cleaning the sink,counter, wiping down the toilet etc last.  I wash the floors in the kitchen and bathroom last plus any hardwood.  if the tub needs it I do it at that time.

the kitchen..no dishwasher so the counters get wiped down on a reg basis esp after dinner dishes, plus wipe the stove top and sweep the floor.  any obivious spots get wiped up with the dishrag before it goes into the laundry.

last thing is to go around with the spray bottle of vinegar water and clean mirrors, doorknobs, lightswitches etc.   now that things are always messy I do a bit here and a bit there.  the bathroom sink/tiolet always needs the old flylady swish and swipe..mostly swipe...

do the kitchen routine daily because if I don't keep up on the kitchen, just get nuts.  plus run the electric carpet sweeper every night or before someone comes over so things look ok.  trust me the living room rug doesn't stay nice for long with the cats and birds.  

our house is small so things are noticeable faster.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Mar 15 2010 8:40 PM In reply to

• alexss
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 22 2008
    • Posts 134

I basically start at one point and work around the room until I get back to where I started, and from the "top" down.  For example, in my kitchen, I'd start at the hallway door, clear the desk top, counter, stove, counter, skip the sink (since I'm using water in it to clean) counter, island, then kitchen table.  Once these were all cleaned off, I"d clean the sink then sweep/mop the floor as needed. 

• Mon, Mar 15 2010 9:00 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I seem to be tackling the house in a bit of a different manner. I am decluttering the bedroom while deep cleaning the kitchen. I work on the kitchen one or more tasks at a time when I can open the windows or have natural light. I am decluttering the other room 15-20 minutes at a time in the morning and evening.

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us