Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Getting the Family Involved in Cleaning

Last post Fri, Mar 12 2010 8:06 AM by Toni B.. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 10 2010 11:21 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Getting the Family Involved in Cleaning

When you are doing deep cleaning, is the whole family involved with tasks?

If so, how do you organise everyone?

If not, toss your thoughts in as we all share ideas on how to make a home cleaning a family event.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Mar 10 2010 12:22 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Getting the Family Involved in Cleaning

I wish.....Dh has to be dragged into it. Nanagain seems to have a good system with her family. Hopefully she will give some tips. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Mar 10 2010 12:26 PM In reply to

I just read about this idea and am in the process of implimenting it with my kids (ages 7,5 and almost 3).  Write chores down on popsicle sticks and put them in a jar.  Each day, have the kids draw whatever number of sticks you determine and that is their chore list for the day.  That way it's varied and no person is stuck doing the same thing.  I do have them do "set" chores though (making their beds, putting their toys away), but I think this is a good way to get them in the practice of doing different chores and learning how to do them too.  Right now my 7 and 5 year old are going to do this, but I think my youngest is a bit young to do more than a few simplistic things a day.

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Mar 11 2010 10:25 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

mommatothree:
    Write chores down on popsicle sticks and put them in a jar. 

I like this idea but I think I'd have to use paper. I would have to buy the sticks.

It's a great tip and I am glad you shared it.

• Thu, Mar 11 2010 10:52 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Brandy:
    When you are doing deep cleaning, is the whole family involved with tasks?
    This may sound odd but I prefer to clean when I'm alone and prefer to do one room at a time. I didn't allow their stuff to be all over the house, they had to contain it in their rooms. In regards to the kids bedrooms, they had one requirement to make my job easier and that was all dirty clothes were to be put in the hamper and not strewn all over. I would usually give them a few days notice and let them know I would be coming through and cleaning. That's when they would remove a good portion of trash (out of fear of the lecture). They would also collect all the stuff they didn't want thrown out. From there we would move furniture and clean behind everything and find all the stuff that was MIA. My kids were always good at "assisting" and didn't mind helping - all I had to do was ask. They actually like a clean space but didn't always want to stop what they were doing to get it that way. They both live alone now and manage to maintain their living space. So for parents with young children, there is hope.
    Brandy:
    If not, toss your thoughts in as we all share ideas on how to make a home cleaning a family event.
    At the time I used to think my kids were too passive about cleaning and I would pick up the slack, however they were observing my standards and methods. Years later they would tell me about going to other peoples homes and seeing how they lived and kept house and only then did they appreciate my efforts. Our home was far from perfect (lived-in) but we made the effort to stay on top of things. They learn by example.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Thu, Mar 11 2010 11:07 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

everyone here gets involved .. we will be moving over to the lake house they are getting ready ....so they clean this house and we get ready.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Mar 11 2010 1:44 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Toni B.:
    I prefer to clean when I'm alone

I would never clean. It's been more than a month since I have been here alone. I do get more done when I am though.

Everyone else in my family has lower standards than I do when it comes to organisation and cleaning. I have learned to deal with it as much as I can then attack frantically from time to time for my own comfort.

My husband likes to know the kitchen and bathrooms are sanitised but has less concern for books stacked on the coffee table or papers piled on the desk. If we have guests or a big cooking day, he'll pitch in to clean things up. He will also dig into his book, paper and work clutter from time to time. 

My oldest two kids are ok with dirty counters and walking on clothes on their floor, blech. I have to be very specific with them on what I want done and how. They'll help but tossing a rag at the counter is not cleaning. 

I think the youngest is overwhelmed if we tell her to "clean her room" so I have to help her by giving her defined tasks to work on. She will dive right in then and enjoys following me around helping when I clean.

• Thu, Mar 11 2010 1:53 PM In reply to

• AmyC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 24 2007
    • Posts 868

It seems like about 95% of the cleaning here falls on me.   DH is working full time and going to school, so his help is reserved to the more traditional "manly" jobs that require heavy lifting and power tools!!  He also does alot of the yard maintenance.   I do most of the cleaning and cooking.   The family that has been living with us for the past year does very little even though there are seven of them and two of us!   this frustrates me at times, so I will go 2-3 days without doing anything and then attack things again with vigor.

http://carneyexploits.blogspot.com

• Thu, Mar 11 2010 6:08 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... hubby helps when I ask. Almost every night, he helps washing up after dinner. Also, has been known to run the sweeper a few times a month, too!

AmyC - sounds like a chore-chart needs to be made up for the family living with you. I was raised that after a few days of staying somewhere, you are no longer a guest!

• Thu, Mar 11 2010 6:26 PM In reply to

No I can't get very much help in cleaning it's just dh,(Teco the pug dog) and myself. Once I didn't feel good and asked dh to do the dishes he went through the motion I had to do them over again another time I asked him to load the dishwasher his response was I don't know how come on you don't have to a degree to load a dishwasherAngry. He had ran the vaccum before and did a pretty good job tried to make the bed what a mess the shell comforter was on upside down (but as least it was an effort) I think detailed cleaning should only have to be done weekly and the a quick pickup everyday but being we have the little pug I have to be more careful. I just wished dh would just pickup after himself like empty his ashtray,rinse the dishes he eats out of and take them back in the kitchen and throw his clothes in a pile for me to wash instead of having to go all over the house looking for them all of those things wouldn't take a whole lot of effort on his part and would be an extreme help for me.(Hope he will eventually get on track)

Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us