Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Are you fashionably frugal?

Last post 03-07-2010 8:17 PM by cheapChic. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-04-2010 11:47 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Are you fashionably frugal?

I don't pay that close attention to fashion any more (having come to the age where I can be comfortably eclectic!), but I do pay some attention to style and name brands when I shop for clothing second hand. This article kind of puts it all together and I thought it was a good read:

Fashionably Frugal 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 03-05-2010 12:07 AM In reply to

Re: Are you fashionably frugal?

It's a very good read.

I buy classic styles. They are always in style. I am very fortunate because I own beautiful jewelry which helps to accessorize my outfits. Trust me, if I didn't already own jewelry I'd be looking at really gorgeous costume jewelry.

I also shop sales. I have gotten clothes at the outlets in the past.

I also buy scarves.....especially if they are on sale.

I dress nicely and I don't spend a fortune on my wardrobe. If you buy good quality, it will last. My best advice would be to find a couple of colors that flatter you and work up a wardrobe built around those colors. Have one wardrobe for work and dress and a second wardrobe for casual wear. Right now I'm getting ready to add some tees and capris to my warm weather casual wardrobe. I know what looks expensive and I know where to buy the less expensive versions of what I want.

• 03-05-2010 12:19 AM In reply to

I'd like to think so. I have a real preference for tailored classic styles which I can readily accessorize. I know which lines and colors look better on me. I'm known as the scarf lady. I think most people don't realize that almost almost all my scarves are silk, purchased in thrift stores. AM
  • 03-05-2010 1:09 PM In reply to

I have never really had an eye for fashion. I'm most comfortable in jeans and a sweatshirt. This is the first time I've had a job that calls for "business casual," so for work I have four pair of nice pants, some turtlenecks, and sweaters. I mix and match throughout the week. Friday is casual day so I get to wear my jeans. When the weather gets warmer, I have capri pants and some nice shirts that join the rotation. Many of the women in my office wear suits some of the time, if they're doing presentations, etc. I may have to break down and find one some time soon - but I feel like a little kid dressing up in mom's clothes whenever I try one on. (Even though I'm 35.)

I've never really been picky about clothes. I usually buy my clothes at a thrift store. If they fit, I'll wear them. One thing I do really prefer is to have a back pocket in my pants, since that's where I usually carry my wallet!

• 03-05-2010 2:06 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I like the article    I like VNW have wonderful jewelry I can use .. I big into scarves ...  I dress very classic and never spend much I do very well at church sales and there a woman clothing shop locally that  has very good prices she gets in price she thinks would work for us she holds it for us .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 03-05-2010 2:47 PM In reply to

Fashionably frugal for me is not over-buying. When I find slacks that fits properly, I make sure they go with the tops already in my inventory. It helps to know your "style" and I also go for a more classic design (simple shirt blouses). I've also learned to be more careful with my clothes.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 03-05-2010 5:06 PM In reply to

I would like to think I am sometimes yes and sometimes no. When I buy pants I will try to either use what I have or buy things I can use with the pants. I try to have 3 to 4 tops I can cange out with the pants and I always have a pair of black pants the other day I was looking throught them and I can make at least 8 outfits with the black pants and different shirts I have.

• 03-06-2010 7:40 PM In reply to

My slacks are generally very classic cut and color -- lots of black, gray, pinstripe, brown, etc.  Not big on navy, but not opposed to it either.  Then I wear tops that are more seasonal.  In the fall/winter I wear sweaters.  In the spring/summer I wear basic cotton or cotton-poly blend short sleeve, non-button blouses.  There are very few button-down shirts that wear well for me, but I do have a couple and I'm not opposed to them.  I just don't want to spend my day fiddlin' around with it!  Fridays are casual, so I wear jeans.  I normally wear jeans on the weekends, too and I wear my tops that are no longer work appropriate from basic wear-and-tear and wear them around town to do my errands or clean the house or whatever.

I agree that knowing your colors and cuts is key.  I don't do much with accessories.  I wear my wedding band and sometimes a necklace.  I hate bracelets with a passion.  I have long hair though so I do keep a ponytail holder (in pink!) on my wrist.  This does not bother me, but bracelets dig into my wrist when I type and I'm on the computer a lot.  I don't like earrings at work b/c I'm on the phone so much, too, but I will wear them otherwise.  I wear make-up every day; I follow Carmindy's 5-minute face routine and it suits me.  Make-up is like clothes -- once you have the right colors and tools, it's a snap to put on.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 03-06-2010 8:05 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Pat:
    having come to the age where I can be comfortably eclectic!

Is that what I can call the pair of pink and lime green floral pants I have which I complete with a floppy hat and sandals?

I wear what makes me happy. Fortunately, I can often find items second hand or on sale that appeal to my tastes so my wardrobe is fairly cheap. Of course my mother insists in cases like those pants that the store was happier than I was over my finding them. 

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 03-06-2010 9:23 PM In reply to

toni-b join the pant club I know how you feel there I never can find any pants in the clearance racks or in some stores like sears and pennies yes I can but I rather go to sears they usally have my pants that stretch in the back and cindy its really bad she has pants that can fit the keyster buuuuttttt not her waist always takes it in or get the tylar to do it she can do some sewing on them but its all hard so we all both me and the cheap chic know how you feel on that....:}

chrissanne
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us