Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

She wants to move out; what does she need?

Last post Sat, Mar 27 2010 1:26 PM by SavySenior. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 4 2010 11:18 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

She wants to move out; what does she need?

Question from a reader:

I am currently in my first year of college and have started a more or less long term job. I am making, as of now, $7.75 (with much room for improvement)an hour and im just under working full time. I am getting to a point in my life that I want to move out of my parents house and live on my own but I dont even know where to start! First things first, i'd like to know how much I should have initialy before moving out. Secondly, How much should I budget for in a month? (apartment, food, gas ext.)and lastly is it better to get a room mate?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Mar 4 2010 11:58 AM In reply to

Re: She wants to move out; what does she need?

I think a lot depends on where the reader lives. Different regions have different costs of living.

Ideally, he/she would be able to afford to move into a small apartment. That would probably mean first and last month's rent plus a security deposit. Utility companies may also want a security deposit. Ask the potential landlord what a typical month of utilities cost for the apartment. Then the reader may want to look at his/her monthly income, look at potential cost of living, and see if it will work. If not, he/she will want to wait a while longer.

I have known people who do well with room mates, other have not. I think if the reader wants to consider a room mate, take into account the following:

1. Does this person seem down to earth, or like a party animal? You don't want you room mate holding crazy parties all night and leaving you with the next day's clean up duties.

2. Does this person seem responsible with money?

3. Is the person willing to be put on a lease with you? If not, you are stuck making the whole month's rent if they don't pay their share or move out without notification.

4. Will the person respect "your" space and "your" belongings? How will you split the grocery bill? How will you split the chores?

I also think that collecting a few odds and ends for housekeeping will be necessary before you move out. For instance, a telephone, iron, a few pots and pans, towels/washcloths, etc. will be needed for living on your own. Start grabbing these things at garage sales for bargain prices.

What arrangements will you make with your parents if moving out on your own doesn't work? You'll want to have that agreed upon ahead of time.

Good luck!

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Mar 4 2010 12:07 PM In reply to

You will need basic cookware and eating utensils. A saucepan, a skillet, a good knife and a cutting board will take you a long way if you have really good cooking skills. I would recommend an assortment of glass bowls with plastic lids to serve as mixing bowls, storage containers, serving and even soup/salad bowls. You will need laundry and cleaning supplies. Vinegar and baking soda and some microfiber cloths will take care of most things, but not all. Linens for the bed (2 sets), for the bath, and for the kitchen are all needed. A tool kit of at least a hammer that fits you, an adjustable wrench, and a set of screw drivers including three sizes each of flat tip and Phillips head would be a good start. You should have at the very least a small sewing kit. Every abode should have a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. These are some ideas to start. Your budget will have to depend on prices in your area. Try checking apartment prices and practice grocery shopping for a while to see what the items you will need actually cost. This would be a good time to start your own price book. Hope this helps.
  • Thu, Mar 4 2010 1:15 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

I'm glad to see you are asking questions before you move out. Speaking from experience, kids that move out without a plan usually end up back with the parents. If you are receiving tuition assistance, and living at home, you are presumably tied to your parents for tax purposes. That may or may not screw things up for you or your parents. You don't mention transportation, is your car registered and insured by you or your parents? Who pays for car maintenance? Secondly $7.75 per hour x 35 hours a week is not a lot to live on. There are comforts of home you will definitely do without - to name a couple, phone - internet. Third - You could end up with good roommates or someone totally irresponsible. Just because you've known someone forever doesn't mean that you can live with them. That situation alone can hinder your performance at school and at home. If you are thinking about moving, you need to save up and prepare for at least a year and have a couple thousand. That doesn't mean it will take a couple thousand to move, but you may need a cushion on hand just in case something like your car or computer breaks down.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Thu, Mar 4 2010 1:46 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Pat:
    First things first, i'd like to know how much I should have initialy before moving out. Secondly, How much should I budget for in a month? (apartment, food, gas ext.)and lastly is it better to get a room mate?

It is very difficult to tell someone else how much they will need to be able to move. Prices vary in different areas. There are some steps that everyone can take to find their own costs, I think.

1. What does rent cost? This can be determined by looking through local real estate listings found online in local newspapers, in local print newspapers and other papers that offer listings.A look through these will reveal an average rental cost, average deposits and any other related fees like additional pet deposits.

2. Utilities. The next expense is utilities. This is usually electricity, water, perhaps gas and trash service. Asking friends and family what they are spending on average can help but calling the utility companies and asking what their deposits are and what an average bill on a particular home or size might be can be helpful.

3. Furniture. People can get away with the bare essentials and others prefer more to begin with. A look through Walmart or Target's website or store can be an easy way to create a price list. Checking locally at furnture stores, discount stores and thrift stores is a good idea too since great finds can be made that reduce cost.

4. Household Essentials. These can become quite a list but when starting out, what does one really need? When I was helping my brother to make his first move and then later my oldest daughter, we found many sites that offered lists. Remember that a helpful list is just that, take what you need from it or add to it. I find these have some great reminders on what is essential or needed.

5. Food. Every person needs to eat and starting out with a stocked kitchen can save money in the long run and keep you fed. I like pantry lists too but these as well need to be looked over for customising. Pricing the items needed to stock the pantry and freezer can help to determine how much money will be needed for the first food bill.

Researching all this should produce a list including starter costs for moving out. The next thing is to create a budget based on ongoing costs to see what it will take each month. I would not leave without the start up funds and at least one month of expense money (preferrably more if possible).

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:50 AM In reply to

When I moved out of my parents home, I thought I was prepared, I had several boxes of canned goods, towels, sheets, blankets, pots and pans, furnature my folks didn't want anymore. My first place was a one room, plus a bath, on a bus stop, and close to my job, I had it all figured out or so I thought.  While you are living at home put the money you are planning on spending on rent, utilities, food, transportation costs etc in an account and "live" on the rest for a few months remembering you are eating food your parents provide, watching cable they pay for, internet supplied, cell phone family plan, see how much is left to run with your friends, do the laundry, an emergency Dr's visit ( I lost my parents insurance as soon as I moved out, but I was never sick before), suddenly needed clothes for my job as management changed and jeans were no longer allowed, even though I worked nights and never saw the public, a parked car still needs insurance even when I rode the bus all the time and walked from work at night ( I wouldn't recomend that now depending on where you live ).  And low and behold one of the worst winters ever, snow, cold, I swear I could see my breath in the apt, it was cheap, drafty even with plastic over the windows.  I made the biggest mistake ever, I quit school and took a better paying job to get a better apartment and always said I'd take a class at a time until I finished, life got in the way and that never happened.  I'm assuming you are 18 or 19 because you are in your first year of college, you want to be an adult but you folks say my house my rules, you know your salary has much room for improvement, how will you make that happen, more hours.......    

Do yourself a favor sunshine, $7.75 and hour full time, you won't make it, people on the forum are being kind, I'm being realisitic, I've been there, waking up with roaches on your bed, mice under the sink.  $7.75 at 40 hours a week is $1240 a month, take out taxes etc and now you are less then a grand a month, 30 years ago I made $990 a month then take out taxes, mandatory life and health insurance not worth the paper it was printed on, ate chicken and noodles almost everyday, it was 29 cents a can and with the pests I wanted everything in a can.  I should have moved back home, coulda woulda shoulda, didn't.  Last but not least my new apartment, got a roommate, her boyfriend virtually lived with us, she paid half the rent and felt entitled, lease in both our names, she gets tired of hearing me complain about him eating all our food, running up the utilities and moves out, landlord says it's my responsibilty to finish out the lease, still don't have enough brains to call my parents for advise if nothing else.  Still no college degree, 47 years old.  

• Tue, Mar 23 2010 9:22 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

You need to have savings in place--$1000 emergency fund that is not used for day to day living. That will be the single most important item on the list of needs. You should have a written budget in place, also. Include Renter's Insurance please! Look into the cost of doing your laundry at the laundromat. That adds up FAST. Find out how much it will cost, (average cost from landlord or previous tenant), to heat/cool your new home. Learn how to menu plan, shop and cook frugally. Then ask family/friends for cast offs to set up your living quarters/kitchen and shop the rummage sales.
    Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Sat, Mar 27 2010 12:46 PM In reply to

On $7.75 an hour, you will probably need a second job.  Most material goods you will need can be found at garage sales, but your rental will almost certainly be a roach palace at this pay scale, or it will be a all-utilities paid unit with higher rental cost than you could budget on your own, once deposits are paid.  

BTDT and the t-shirt is ragged, but the memories are clear.  Do grit your teeth, use those customer service skills you're learning on the day job to smooth your family's rough spots and make life easier, and get far more than the Ramsey and Hamm suggested $1000 for your first move out on your own.  

And if this is about the significant other--Mama's probably right, she dated plenty in her day, has mucho exposure to the human race in her job, and is trying to keep you out of something which would be big trouble for you and big expense for her.  Don't forget to figure the cost of a big mistake in your prospective expense roster, because you may make one or even several.  

• Sat, Mar 27 2010 1:26 PM In reply to

Don't do it until probationary period at job is over (3-6 months) my DD#2 moved thinking job was secure...laid off 2 days before prob.period end. We had a revolving door for quite a few years. Kids could not manage upkeep with low wages, problems with room-mates etc.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us