Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

This is difficult

Last post 03-03-2010 5:11 PM by Virginia Needlewoman. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-01-2010 2:43 PM

This is difficult

I'm sitting here watching the neighbors get all new appliances -- oven, fridge, washer, dryer...none here for at least a year (and that is if DH gets a Christmas bonus this year otherwise it is 2 or maybe even 3 years).  UGH!  maybe I need to hit the treadmill...

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 03-01-2010 3:32 PM In reply to

Re: This is difficult

2ndGenGranola,This may make you feel better I live in a condo a rental ugh. I have watched the 2 beside me be totally remodeled I am in the middle of both of them they both have new appliances while I'm still using the appliances that came with this thing like in 1988 (almond gross) They did have to replace the fridge but were'nt happy about it so for now I will just keep saving small amounts and hopefully before much longer will be in my home but I will say even though I hate renting at least I have a roof over my head and we are grateful for that.I would also like to have all new appliances the newest ones we have are our washer and dryer which we brought with us when we moved in here when and if ever I do get my own home I will purchase new appliances then.

• 03-01-2010 3:44 PM In reply to

I understand, 2ndGen. We've been in the same house for 25 years now, and all the appliances in the kitchen are original to the house, which was built in 1981. So you can imagine...as Linda said, almond. Ugh. I dream of stainless steel.

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • 03-01-2010 4:04 PM In reply to

What if you gave your fridge a facelift?  I've seen DIY shows where they take beadboard, crown moulding and trim pieces and cut them to fit and give the fridge a custom "built in" look?  They even took off the door handles and put gate handles (black metal) on the front to make it look absolutely adorable!  It honestly wouldn't cost that much I would think, and it would be a great way to cheer you up until you can afford new appliances.  You could do the front of your dishwasher too!

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • 03-01-2010 4:45 PM In reply to

We had all new appliances in this house in 1978. Then we replaced them in 2003 after they'd all stopped working. That's 25 years between all new appliances.

I think almond is pretty !

My appliances are all white.

My deep freezer was new in 2006.

In my family, you waited to replace appliances until they stopped working for good. I may replace the hot water heater earlier if my plumber says to do it.

• 03-01-2010 4:47 PM In reply to

Almond is better than avocado green.  At least you can console yourself with that, lol. Stick out tongue

• 03-01-2010 5:02 PM In reply to

I used to live in an apartment with harvest gold and avacado green appliances.

If memory serves me right, you can replace a dishwasher cover to change the color. I know that's what friends used to talk about doing back when I worked.

You could put notes, drawings, etc. on a frig to cover it up. You can't tell that my fridge is white because of all the magnets, etc., I've got on it. What about artwork from kids or a big calendar ?

• 03-01-2010 6:24 PM In reply to

Its not so much the looks that bug me.  I buy plain white because I don't want the dated look of colors.  It is how they work.  

The oven may or may not come on.  We have had the digital panel and something else replaced once.  That time was free as it was a defect but it still is moody.  At least it is not scary like it was.  You never knew if it was going to be raw for flambee.  The thing melted foil one day when I had it set on 350* but it when wacko.

I have 2 fridges.  One is always too cold and you cannot put produce/salad/etc in it.  The other doesn't cool well (freezer works fine) so it is for my flours and produce.  DH "forgot" (even with my bright orange sign) and put meat in it the other day.  I made him throw it out as I was standing there telling him how much the ingredients cost.

The dishwasher is OK.  The racks are starting to fall apart but it has outlived its "average" life.  I guess I cannot really complain to much about it.

The washer and dryer moved with us here.   I don't even remember how old they are.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 03-01-2010 6:30 PM In reply to

I can completely relate to safety issues.

My bottom oven elment caught on fire in August 2009 one Sunday. It really scared me !

I can also relate to a dh upsetting your plans ! My ex would hide things in the fridge.

• 03-01-2010 9:35 PM In reply to

interesting.

Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us