Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Decorating with Books

Last post Thu, Feb 25 2010 3:38 PM by Loveday. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 25 2010 9:52 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Decorating with Books

An article on The Dollar Stretcher suggests doing more with books than reading them...

Decorate!

Many of us probably have some stacked in corners or shoved onto shelves. Could this be the start of a no or low cost decorating idea? Check out the article. 

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Feb 25 2010 12:01 PM In reply to

Re: Decorating with Books

Good article, great ideas.  I have two bookcases in the living room with all of the kid's books in them.  The bookcases stand about 4 ft tall, similar in height to what you'd find at a library.  I've started standing various books on top of the bookcases, "highlighting" them for the kids.  I rotate them, so that the kids can grab them easily.  It's fun, I like doing it.

Another idea I saw is to use old books and actually make decorative accents out of them.  It looks cute and pretty easy to do, I saw it on a blog I follow.  Here is a link to the blog that has instructions and pictures on how to do it if anyone is interested:

http://gorgfabgoodies.blogspot.com/2010/01/modpoged-books.html

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Feb 25 2010 3:38 PM In reply to

Re: Decorating with Books

I love this article. Big Smile I've got books in every room in my house. I can't imagine my house without books; I've been in houses where there are no books in sight, and they seem...I don't know, empty somehow. Something vital is missing. I love the idea of using books to decorate; when I clean the living room, the last thing I do before I pronounce myself finished is place a couple of books on the coffee table. Something different each time, so people have something new to peruse. And I made sure, when we got a 'new' entertainment center for the TV and our DVD collection (it was new to us but really secondhand!), to put books on some of the shelves instead of just letting them fill up with DVDs. My way of reminding the family that there's more to life than just sitting there staring at the boob tube! LOL!

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us