Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Procrastination ... or Not.

Last post Mon, Mar 29 2010 4:16 PM by haverwench. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 21 2010 1:56 PM

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Procrastination ... or Not.

This morning on CBS Sunday Morning, they had a show about people who procrastinate. So it got me wondering how many here on the forums have problems with procrastination ( yours or somebody else's ). Has there been times when stalling paid off? Has there been times where you've paid a penalty? Share your thoughts and experiences here.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sun, Feb 21 2010 2:45 PM In reply to

Re: Procrastination ... or Not.

I will get around to answering your questions later...

LOL

But really, I do tend to procrastinate. I have gotten better at not procrastinating as I get older, but I do tend to wait until the last minute to get things done.

When others say I am procrastinating though, I'm really just mulling over in my mind the best way to tackle the project. Sometimes I'm waiting for a spark of inspiration.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Sun, Feb 21 2010 3:43 PM In reply to

While, like Stacie, at times my apparent delay in action is due to a drawn out thought process, mostly I just dub myself the Queen of Procrastination. It's easy to understand when it applies to doing things I detest, but I am somewhat self-defeating and often deny myself full pleasure in areas that delight me because I put off taking action to the last minute, which is really sometime past the last minute. AM
  • Mon, Feb 22 2010 10:47 AM In reply to

Proscrastination is DH's problem, not mine!  I'm the one people laugh & roll their eyes at when I'm doing Christmas shopping in August.  I'm the one rolling my eyes when they are shopping on December 24th with DH!  I need things to be orderly & on schedule.  I prepare my DD's closets a year ahead of time with clothing on clearance, plan vacations for a couple of years before we go, begin planning DD's next birthday party as soon as the current one is over, etc.

• Mon, Feb 22 2010 11:15 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

It depends. Sometimes I  procrastinate, but other times, I get things done early. If it's something I really don't want to do, I can find all kinds of excuses to put it off for another day, another week... sometimes another month!

Right now I need to go over to the hardware store and buy more staples for the staple gun. My son in law used it over Christmas and bought staples for it, but I can't get them to fit. I know he used them because one box is only about half full. I put the gun and the staple box on the table, and after staring at it for a week or so, I really looked at it. The staples weren't made to fit the old model of gun that I have, so at least now it's clear in my head that I need to buy staples for that model, or buy a new staple gun and staples for it. I'm just a little slow sometimes! LOL But I'm glad I procrastinated, because I might have bought the wrong staples again. (Still haven't been to the hardware store, but it snowed yesterday and the day before - good excuse.)

I'm working on some projects for next Christmas, though, but those are things I like to do.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Feb 22 2010 11:46 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

I'm a cross between Pat and Whitney. I try to stay ahead of most things and deal with it as soon as possible. I get mad at myself when something slips by me even though its still not a big issue. A few years ago I shopped for Christmas all year like Whitney does but I hit a wall and resorted to money or gift cards.
    Pat:
    I'm working on some projects for next Christmas, though, but those are things I like to do.
    I agree that on some projects you definitely need to "be in the mood". Disorganization or my inabllity to find something is my motivator to clean out and reorganize
    Pat:
    If it's something I really don't want to do, I can find all kinds of excuses to put it off for another day, another week... sometimes another month!
    Its funny, back in October I got on this kick to get some legal work updated ( Will, Power of Attorney and Health Care Proxy). Around the same time I made the decision to donate my body to a local teaching hospital when I pass away. I've had the paperwork sitting around for 5 months and haven't had it signed off by my doctor or attorney. For some reason that "final commitment" seems so ... final.
  • Mon, Feb 22 2010 11:51 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Toni B.:
    Around the same time I made the decision to donate my body to a local teaching hospital when I pass away. I've had the paperwork sitting around for 5 months and haven't had it signed off by my doctor or attorney. For some reason that "final commitment" seems so ... final.

Maybe you haven't really made that decision? Smile
    Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Mon, Feb 22 2010 12:42 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Pat:
    Maybe you haven't really made that decision?
    Yea ... I thought about that. Its a concept I believe in for a couple of reasons. I don't want to saddle my family with large bills including a funeral. I've worked at a medical teaching college and understand how students (future doctors) need those donations to learn. I think part of my hesitation is that I also have to make arrangements for my other personal belongings. I don't have a lot but I have invested heavily into my hobby (cross stitch) and I have a lot of charts and finished pieces. Cross Stitch is the one thing that is a close reflection of who I am and I want to it to go where its appreciated. Thanks Pat ... for making me think about it again.
  • Mon, Feb 22 2010 1:11 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I've been there... not with that particular thing, but knowing I wanted to do a thing, believing in it, but not quite willing to make that final commitment. That's the only reason I was able to ask that question.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Thu, Mar 11 2010 9:51 PM In reply to

It depends on what it is. If it's a medical matter, I act immediately. If financial, the same.

Now paperwork is another matter, as is vaccuming. Dealing with uncomfortable person situations with other people..procrastinate as long as possible. Reading my emails, don't for a few days at a time.

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us