Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Grinding corn into corn meal?

Last post 02-22-2010 5:45 PM by Pat. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-18-2010 11:53 AM

Grinding corn into corn meal?

Now that i've experimented with wheat, I am wondering if I can grind my own corn for corn meal? If so, what type of corn should I raise just for cornmeal?

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 02-18-2010 12:16 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Re: Grinding corn into corn meal?

You can make cornmeal from almost any corn except sweet corn. The best I've ever milled was made from popcorn. You just have to be sure the moisture content is low, but if you need the cornmeal before it dries enough, you can parch corn at a low temperature, then mill it.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 02-21-2010 9:48 PM In reply to

Dh was suggesting any kind of 'flint' corn. Popcorn or most varieties of field corn that will dent, and has a low sugar content. He did say it would grind hard, similar to the hard red wheat.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 02-22-2010 11:55 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Yes, flint or dent. No sweet corn, as I said. Anything else I've tried milled well. It's the moisture content you have to be aware of more than anything else. If you have room, you might want to experiment with a few different types to see which you like best.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 02-22-2010 4:40 PM In reply to

• Nancy B.
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 11-20-2009
    • MD...soon...FL.
    • Posts 26

After reading the question and answers here I only have questions as I have never milled any grain but am interested why you do this.  I get great satisfaction from scratch cooking and baking and imagine milling might add to the enjoyment.  So why do you mill your own grains...what kind/brand of mill so you use and what is your source for grain?  

• 02-22-2010 5:45 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

I don't know about Michelle, but I mill my own flour and cornmeal because it's fresher, tastes better and it's much more nutritious. Besides that, there's a satisfaction in doing it that just isn't there when I buy a container of cornmeal. Flour and meal that was milled weeks or months ago has lost much of it's nutrition, especially the B vitamins, unless it's refrigerated.

Depending on the source, it can be quite a bit cheaper, too.

I have grown some of my own and I bought clean wheat from a feed mill which has lasted a very long time. The popcorn I milled was bought as popcorn from a salvage store. It was old and wouldn't pop well and I didn't want to waste it, so I tried milling it. It was a little powdery because it was slightly overdry, but it tasted good, so I used better corn the next time. I've milled feed corn from gleaning a farmer's field after the harvest and last year I grew a small plot of corn just for that purpose. The seed cost less than $3 and I have enough corn for a couple of year's worth of meal for me (but I'm a one person household).

I have a manual mill that I bought from Lehmans long ago, but I use my Vitamix any more, since my shoulders tense up when I do much of that kind of work any more. I keep my manual grain mill "just in case."

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us