Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

The Household Notebook

Last post Fri, Feb 26 2010 9:35 PM by tracyinmn. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:42 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

The Household Notebook

Angela Kane suggests taking a tip from the past to organise our busy lives of the present.

Read An Old School Tool for New School Moms

Do you have a household planner/organiser/notebook? Did your Grandmothers handle management with a notebook?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Feb 15 2010 2:23 PM In reply to

Re: The Household Notebook

I don't know if my grandmother used one or not; my last grandmother died in 1982 when I was 14.

I could not begin to keep all those things the author suggests in one single binder! I do however keep a 3 ring binder for bills and budgeting that i like very much. It has pocket files for each month's receipts, a notebook, a budget book, pocket files for Bills to be Paid and Notes, and a pencil bag that has pens, stamps, address labels and a calculator. I did bills in bed this past weekend, it is so portable.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Feb 15 2010 2:36 PM In reply to

Cinnamon, I really like your bill/budget binder idea. It's especially attractive to me now as I'm clearing out that darned overflowing  file cabinet. A binder like yours would be SO much easier to keep organised!

I don't know if my grandmothers ever used a notebook for household organising. I kind of think not. My mother's mom, especially, was a by-the-seat-of-her-pants family manager. She did it all very well, though--she raised five kids, grew all the vegetables she served her family (with Grandpa's help), and when the kids were a little older she went to work and still managed to keep everything going smoothly at home. Thinking about all she did makes me feel very, very lazy by comparison. Tongue Tied

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Mon, Feb 15 2010 3:02 PM In reply to

This was a foreign notion to me until I learned the Flylady system. DH takes care of our bills as they come in. If I were to need to, I have in the past used a system that worked well for me. The rest of my life is in a binder which has a calendar of two full pages for each month, actually Monday-Saturday on one 8 1/2"x 11" page. As one who luxuriates in food prep, this binder only holds recipes that I have copied when I was waiting someplace, a temporary stash. There are dividers for other activities such as volunteer and church work. Most of those are also just for transporting ideas. Keeping these things together is tremendously helpful to me. AM
  • Mon, Feb 15 2010 3:09 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

We use a huge white binder for our budget/household system. Its a great system if you don't want to use a computer which can crash. We know in an emergency to grab the binder first.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:37 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Cinnamonhuskies:
    I could not begin to keep all those things the author suggests in one single binder! I

I have my calender, schedule and home notes, school planner, bill keeper, pantry lists and shopping info in mine. I could not fit recipes in, that's another binder on it's own. I have no idea how she finds the room for a list of her checking expenses, that sounds like a register.

I tried to separate my bill keeper into a register binder but the problem I mentioned with trying to keep track of expenses still exists. So my bills are back in my home planner. I don't do bills by hand and send them stamped through the mail. I pay mine through our bank account online. I'd have to carry a laptop around to be able to pay bills in other places. I guess that's something Grandma didn't do.

• Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:44 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Loveday:
    I don't know if my grandmothers ever used a notebook for household organising

My maternal grandmother never learned to speak English and did not read or write at all so I know she did not keep a notebook. I am not sure about my paternal grandmother. I do know my great-grandmother had a notebook with her home remedies and other important things she needed to keep track of.

• Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:23 PM In reply to

• AmyC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 24 2007
    • Posts 868

mine is not a note bok per se.

I have a list on the fridge where cleaning and maintenance tasks for each room in the house that are broken down by daily, weekly and monthly needs.  There is also a monthly list of various things like changing vacuum filters, servicing the furnace, defrosting the freezer, rotating mattresses, checking smoke alarm batteries etc.  These are the things that only occur 1-4 times a year.   I also keep a planner with things like appointments, shopping lists and such.  Bills are whole seperate system (i need the laptop as well!).  

http://carneyexploits.blogspot.com

• Thu, Feb 18 2010 1:56 PM In reply to

I used to have a Busy Mom's Book, things changed the next year, it was a waste of money.  I currently have a planner with monthly schedules on tabs with about four sheets in between.  On these I keep Things to Do, Books to Read, shooping lists- food and non food, gift ideas, birthday plans for the kids, with reminders to shop the month before, I keep some money info but I have Quicken on the computer, and there is an envelope at the front for all my current papers and I keep an envelope with my best coupons in there.  My store has double couples, up to 5 coupons and up to $1 twice a week, abut you have to spend $25.  So I presort my best coupons, combine with purchases of milk, eggs, produce, etc. This has made my life easier, not to try to sort and carry so many coupons. 

One thing I have done the last several years is carry over some goals every year from my planner, for example in Jan/Feb I have sort closets,  July school shopping, March sign up for camp, October wash and pack summer clothes and start a grocery bag per kid for Christmas, Dec schedule tax appt.  This has helped me remember annual events, and helped me get things done.  I have yet to do all the closets, though!  It has helped remember to get to the dentist, get flu shots, etc.  When I complete them, I highlight or circle, so I carry over to the next year.  

Some of my current goals are ones for school, apply for scholarships every month, debt payoff, try to pay off even a little extra-for Feb my goal was just an extra $15, giving away some baby items every month, and re-dong my wardrobe to look better and be ready to go if I get into nursing school.  I have even bought three used scrubs tops, and warm clothes for walking around a campus-doulbe duty as I am teaching at daycare now, they are used for playground duty, staying warm while standing outside in MN!  They are also good teacher clothes. 

That's my system so far, I will need to reread yours, esp Brandy and Amy, and see what I can incorporate in my planner. 

• Thu, Feb 18 2010 1:57 PM In reply to

Toni, what's in your binder?

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us