Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How much is your electric bill?

Last post Mon, Aug 3 2009 4:33 PM by Luvd_Lioness. 107 replies.
Page 1 of 11 (108 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 14 2007 12:54 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

How much is your electric bill?

I've been seeing posts here about electric bills and I'm curious... how much was yours last time? Mine was $47.60. With the weather cooling down, it should be less next time because I haven't been using the AC.

I use the computer almost constantly, then there are the lights, refrigerator, freezer, radio, stereo, kitchen range, microwave, toaster (less than once a week),  iron every other week, dryer averages about one load a month. Then there are occasional uses of paper shredder, glue gun, weed eater charger... can't think of anything else. Hot water and heat are gas. What do you use electricity for?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Fri, Sep 14 2007 2:38 PM In reply to

Re: How much is your electric bill?

Our last electric bill was at an all time low of $95.  I think our rates are high but have no  choice in the matter.  We don't have access to natural gas....I wouldn't use it even if we could, and we don't use propane for anything.  Anyway, we have the kitchen stove, toaster, 2 fridges, 2 new freezers, washer, dryer, 2 TVs, microwave, water heater, computer.  Don't use A/C as it is not necessary here and use wood heat augmented with electric.  Our water is on an electric pump too.  The bill does include electric for DH's shop.  While our bill may seem high to some (we live in a semi-rural area), the rates for city electric are doubled, or tripled in the winter.  I think part of our lowered rate this bill cycle is due to the fact that we installed a big skylight in the kitchen.....prior to that, we had lights on in the kitchen always since there was no natural source of light and it was a dark hole!  Most of my hours are spent in the kitchen.
    Patrink

• Fri, Sep 14 2007 2:46 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

My bill is $114 this past month. We use the AC in two trailers, lights in both, one laptop runs during the day, one fridge, microwave, TV sometimes, coffee pot and phone chargers.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Sep 14 2007 3:37 PM In reply to

My bill does vary because I also have my natural gas on there too. Right now I'm paying an average of $69/mo. Actual usage though is about $40 during the summer. During the winter it can be about $109. I am cutting things out to not let it run that high. This winter I am lowering my thermostat to 65/60 and will use my space heater for my room I am in along with layering with blankets and sweats. Drying my clothes on the lines downstairs vs. drying (towels and bedding are always done on hot/ and dried on hot). I don't use lights unless I need them. TV isn't on as much anymore and neither is the computer. Right now the stove/oven isn't getting used much but will be so my cost may go higher on that. (Gas) I thank G-D that I do qualify for energy assistance in my state. It takes a big chunk out of what I would have to pay.  There is also a local agency that comes and checks to see how energy efficient your place is, I am hoping they will replace my old (17yr old) stove/microwave.

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Fri, Sep 14 2007 4:06 PM In reply to

Ours was $340 due to living in the desert of Southern California and heavy air conditioning usage.  What's really sad is that I made a huge effort to conserve; I cut my electricity usage in half from last year.  The bill is still the same because rates have shot up here.

• Fri, Sep 14 2007 4:15 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

The highest mine has been in this house was $94.19 in August of 2005. I don't remember why it was higher that month.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Fri, Sep 14 2007 9:02 PM In reply to

Ours is about $115 every two mths including taxes. It goes up to $150 with xmas lights in the winter. We have electric stove (not used much at the moment) no air conditioning, fridge,  electric fan when needed, ceiling fans in the summer, 5 computers, 3 tvs/vcrs/dvd player etc, lights (we have a bright house), space heaters in the basement in the winter, sometimes hair dryers, electric razor every day. Dryer about 8 -10 loads a week. Heat and hot water is gas.
    My Family's Interests
  • Sat, Sep 15 2007 10:49 AM In reply to

My last month's bill was $208. Almost $40 of that is gas, the rest electric. This size bill was a HUGE shock to me when I moved into this Victorian home after more than 20 years of apartment living ($50 max bills and often as low as $15 there). We are now talking about installing solar panels when we have to redo the roof in the next few years.

• Sat, Sep 15 2007 1:00 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

lamuneca0325:
    We are now talking about installing solar panels when we have to redo the roof in the next few years.

Have you researched solar panels? I'm curious as to how long it would take for them to pay for themselves. The price has come down somewhat, but it still seems high.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Sat, Sep 15 2007 11:35 PM In reply to

I've done a little research but not enough to have made a solid decision to do the solar. We just bought this house and I'm in for long haul. I'd like to find any way I can to reduce all our waste of resources (and save money somehow too). It's looking like about $15,000 to install the system and maybe 5-7 years for it to pay for itself.

As for reducing our waste. After 20+ years of apartment living I'm finally able to recycle and composte using the curbside bins. San Francisco has a -0- waste goal and one of the best curbside recycling programs in the nation. There are several solar companies competing for business here so I'm sure when the time comes we'll be able to get a decent deal.

Terri

Page 1 of 11 (108 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us