Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How to clean silk flowers?

Last post Fri, Jan 29 2010 9:13 PM by gayla50. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 27 2010 12:59 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

How to clean silk flowers?

Here's a question from a reader I hope someone can help with:

Question: I have a lot of silk flower arrangements along with silk plants and one huge 8 foot tree.  How can I go about cleaning them?  I tried the vacuum and it sucked some of the flowers and leaves off the arrangements.  Not good!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Jan 27 2010 11:23 PM In reply to

Re: How to clean silk flowers?

a lot of them will tolerate a swish in the sink.  first blow off the dust with a blowdryer set on cool or low, or you'll get mud!  put the big ones in the shower, or spray them with the hose outside.  i've even put them out in the rain for a rinse- hey, it's free!

• Thu, Jan 28 2010 5:01 PM In reply to

The ladies on How Clean is Your House? put silk flowers in a brown paper sack with 1/2 c of household table salt.  Then they folded the bag over a couple times and shook everything around.  On the show it worked really well and most of their stuff has worked for me with those "odd" cleaning jobs.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Thu, Jan 28 2010 5:17 PM In reply to

Mom would put most of hers in the sink.  Canned air works as does a vapor steamer.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Fri, Jan 29 2010 7:14 PM In reply to

Spray them with a chlorine-free surfactant and set them in the rain on a cloudy day, so they won't fade. Occasional windy-day airing works for dusting.  Let nature take its course.

• Fri, Jan 29 2010 9:13 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I use the table salt trick too  ... my Sister in  Law does hers with a combo of salt and corn meal ..  I tired some  canned air once sneezed for a week .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us